Chapter 13: The Truth and the Liar

"Your father is Arturo Torres. You may not be informed but your half-Italian, mi cara."

It was just a few minutes after Alyanna's first orgasm with a man when Konstantin dropped the bomb. Their bodies were still glued together, with him sitting on one of the steps leading to the ocean with her straddling him.

Now, her senses started to awaken at her husband's sudden confession. There were no photos of her parents in her Aunt's house, only stories. And this was the first time she was hearing this tale.

Konstantin continued. "Your mom is a Filipina that he met on a vacation in Manila. And you were conceived right after. They died after a mob war years later. With a rival Mafia family. It was disguised as an accident."

"A car accident," she whispered back. Her jaw dropped at the mention of a rival Mafia family. She never once thought of herself as coming from the same background as Konstantin. The idea of being in a crime family was so foreign to her. She grew up in a simple neighborhood with simple dreams surrounded by normal people.

"Arturo Torres is part of the Mafia. Your father was the head of the Torres mafia family.... which our family disbanded upon his death."

"Your family knows my parents?" she asked.

He nodded slowly. "My father knows your parents."

"Are they friends?" she inquired.

His face suddenly turned cold. "They don't really have a relationship to begin with and they rarely talk. Mafia families do not interact with each other as much as possible. That's all I know and all I can share." He suddenly assisted her up and carried her again back inside.

He carefully put her on the bed while wrapping her up with a clean towel.

"Now rest for the meantime. I know this is too much for you to digest for now." He was looking into her eyes, assessing her emotions.

But she remained in shock. "I never knew who they were..."

"Your aunt never talked about them?"

She shook her head no. "Did my father leave any relatives?" She suddenly had the urge to at least get to know someone who also knows, someone who can perhaps explain to her everything.

"Everyone else died alongside them that night."

"Who was the family that killed them?" she asked, unfeeling. It was like the pain was slowly coming back again after all those years. She was extremely young when her parents were taken away from her. But time has slowly made her forget. And now, Konstantin had suddenly sprung all these news to her.

"I'm unaware." He stood up and left her on the bed. There was sudden coldness in his voice again as he put in more space between them. "I've given you all info that I know. I hope this helps you... achieve peace or whatever."

She just remained on bed, looking up at him. He has suddenly put up that wall again between them. "Let me guess. You're going back to work?"

"I have to close some things with my lawyer."

She just shrugged. "Fine." Then, she stood up and walked to the bathroom to lock herself up. Her emotions were in a whirlwind. She has just given herself to the one person she hated in exchange for information about her parents. And now she has discovered that her family history wasn't so saintly and simple after all.

****

It was morning. Hindi na namalayan ni Alyanna kung paano siya nakatulog kagabi matapos ang pag-uusap nilang iyon ni Konstantin. All she knew was she slept alone last night while he remained glued to his phone and laptop.