forty nine

Louis' POV:

Two coffees later, Ringo and I wrap up our conversation at the cafe. We talked more about both of our relationships, his rehab, our lives in general, and just normal conversation things. I must admit, it wasn't as bad as I expected to see him again. This conversation definitely went better than the one with my mum too, which is a relief.

I don't know if I plan to ever meet up with him again, but I think we both mutually agreed that we're now on better terms than when we broke up. Taking a few years before having this chat with him was a good move too because I think it gave him time to grow and mature and be less of a super shit person than before. Plus, it allowed me to move on from that heartbreak to bigger and better things (literally).

I thank him for covering the bill and we say our brief goodbyes before I walk to my car and drive home. I think Harry should be back home by now unless an impromptu lunch with Niall takes a few hours. But it's Niall and from what I've seen, that's quite possible.

I pull into our driveway and see his black SUV parked in its usual spot. Parking and stuffing my car keys in my pocket, I head inside through the side door and slip my shoes off in the living room.

"Harry, babe, I'm back!" 

I wander upstairs in search of him after finding the downstairs completely empty. I'm a bit hungry and plan to make lunch for myself soon before prepping Harry's favorite chicken dish for tonight's dinner.

I hear soft noises coming from the bedroom and walk in to find Harry sitting on the bed alone, his back to me as he looks out of the window. All but one or two of the blinds are closed and it's darker than normal inside, with no ceiling lights turned on either. My footsteps are soft as I enter the room, and he doesn't seem to notice me.

"Harry? Are you okay?" 

I walk over to him and go to sit on the bed. I don't get the chance when he abruptly stands up and turns to face me. He points his finger at my chest, poking it rather aggressively as if he's trying to stab a hole through me.

The first things I notice when I look up at his face are his flushed red cheeks and somewhat puffy eyes. It looks like he's been crying for a while now, and I'd love nothing more than to comfort him right now. 

"Louis, what were you doing with him?" His voice is scarily quiet and calm, and I get chills at his overall hostile appearance.

"What are you talking about, Haz?"

"What were you doing with him? With Ricky." Harry seems furious and I'm taken back with surprise.

"How do you know?" I didn't even tell Harry I was meeting him today. I didn't tell anyone, actually, so I have no idea how he found out.

"I was going to surprise you today; meet you at the cafe once Zayn and Liam left to do boyfriend-y things together. Then I saw you two at the cafe, laughing and shit. Why?" He chokes out, pacing in front of me and looking like he's about to punch a hole through our bedroom wall (Harry and I binge-watched the US version of The Office together a month or so ago, and after that, I'd highly suggest that no one ever punch a wall out of pure frustration).

I take my coat off, laying it on the bed to try and give him time to relax and calm down. He doesn't. "Harry, it wasn't anything," I explain and my voice grows increasingly frantic as he continues to pace, "We were just talking. I swear!"

"Just talking?" He spits. "Louis, you're literally seeing your ex-boyfriend behind my back, it's hard to believe like it's nothing more than a bit of chit-chat."

"I'm not seeing him behind your back!" I say defensively.

His eyes flash with anger and he takes a deep breath, glaring at me with a sort of anger and hurt that I haven't seen from him before. "Yes, you were. You fucking lied about it, Louis. You told me you were going to see Zayn and Liam and then you go to meet up with your fucking ex."