63: Blood of my Blood

The domain collapsed as soon as she drew her last breath. Her skin was pale with her blood running dry --- unmoving --- eyes shut closed as she laid lifeless inside of Sukuna's arms.

He caught her right before she fell, just after he finished eating her heart. His lips were tainted with the taste of her blood, bearing a stern expression as he leaned close to her and muttered something under his breath.

There's one last thing he needed to do now that Sayuri had died...

"Qoy qoyi..."

"Shekh ma jalan...tih oahka...tih atthirar..."

Curses can only be exorcised with curses.

The death of someone who bears curses, regrets, and hatred; without proper exorcism can lead to a rebound of those curses, leading for the latter to be consumed by its energy.

Sayuri's death is one of them.

"The curse I gave you...the curse that the Heavens and your family have given you...the curse residing in your womb..."

"You've done well, onna."

Triggering the curse that he placed on her years before she died, all the curses she bore resonated throughout her body and consumed her.

All that was left untouched was her soul. The soul she shared with the King of Curses --- the one that will forever link their existences with each other.

Ryomen Sukuna performed a ritual. An ancient sorcery that binds the curses of the dead into one's body, turning them into a curse itself. However, Sukuna speculated a hypothesis in regards to her being an Abe before doing such a thing, and it was the reason why he resorted to doing it.

She was neither a human anymore, to begin with; and taking to account her resistance to curses, the definition of her becoming a curse does not fit.

It was different.

Throughout his existence, Sukuna has never recorded an Abe turning into cursed spirits due to their nature of bearing positive energy in their bodies. They can manipulate both positive and negative energy without having to suffer the consequences of the latter.

The line of Abe no Seimei were not only sorcerers but also priests and priestess as well; their connection with the Gods are what made them special.

Negative curses will never consume them despite their deaths. Curses are only passive to them; they can manipulate them into their use, but can never maintain it constantly or even permanently.

Curses aren't something they can store because they have no use in storing them in the first place.

Their powers are boundless; omnipresent in the face of curses, but never omnipotent due to the Heaven's Restriction. The Abes only act as intermediaries to positive and negative curses, specializing in the utilization of the positive ones.

In the growing power of negative-curses-dependent sorcery, positive energy is required to maintain its balance. However, in the Golden Age of sorcery, Ryomen Sukuna wiped out the bloodline of the Abe thus initiating the disruption of the balance of sorcery.

Curses grew more powerful and so does the sorcerers.

It was indeed the Golden Age --- it marked the progression of negative curses into greater heights.

Ryomen Sukuna, however, despite wanting to seize all the powers of the sorcery, knows to himself that it couldn't be achieved completely without the other side of the coin --- the positive energy.