18: Breaking A Curse

"Let go! It hurts!" I said angrily.

My sudden burst out surprised him, he didn't expect that I would yell directly in his face. It hurts alright, but I won't cry in front of him...I'll just cry later.

"What do you want?! You were the one who disrespected me first! Why should I show respect to someone who doesn't know how to?!"

My leg was starting to shake from the pain, even more so when he started digging his claws into it.

"You're a sorcerer, are you not? Then you should know better not to anger me, onna." He said.

"What? What sorcerer?" And I don't know you so let go!"

His eyebrows furrowed as he continued to look at me. He was in deep thought as if trying to assess me, and with that, I used the chance to slam the rock I picked up from the side towards his head. He let go.

My breath hitched as I pulled out the wood from my leg before making a run. I was running in the opposite direction as I didn't want to lead him directly to where I live. Since I live in the mountains, I know every part of the terrain and where to hide into. But then suddenly, at one step, my injury gave out making me slip and fall into the deep creek.

My short-lived life flashed before my eyes and all I was worried about was leaving Hirotsuji alone. For him to come back just to find out that I died? He'd be devastated.

Before I fall to the rocks and meet my death, however, I felt an arm grabbed my waist and lifted me off from the ground. It was the spirit, sporting a really really annoyed expression. Even though I hit him in the head, he seemed to be perfectly fine.

He carried me on his shoulders like a sack, and my eyes widened after seeing us so high from the ground. "G-Get me down! I'm going to die!" I exclaimed while continuously hitting the spirit's bare back. The forest almost looked like grasses because of the altitude and I couldn't help but feel my stomach flipping over.  "Hmph...I feel sick." I then quickly covered my mouth with my hands.

"Oi, onna, don't you dare vomit on-"

Too late. 

Feeling some of the wet sensation of a liquid touched his back, he immediately snapped. "YOU BRAT! What have you done?!" 

I didn't answer him. Why is he half-naked anyway? Well, probably because of the fact that he has four arms. I doubt that they sell kimono for that purpose though. 

He landed on a large tree branch and dropped me to the side, he then disappeared afterward. My hands were cold as I tried to hold on to the trunk. I wanted to hug it to make sure of my safety but then it's just too big, it's impossible. I didn't move instead.

If I recalled, this was the topmost tree on the mountain, standing tall amongst the trees in the forest. I looked around in panic and assessed the situation I am in. If I fell from here, I'll definitely be shredded into pieces with my limbs hanging in every tree branch. I didn't want to die in such a gruesome way.

Should I try climbing down?

I glanced at my leg and saw that it was still bleeding. I ripped the bottom hems of my kimono and wrapped my injury with it. Should I call for help? I wonder if anyone can hear me?

"HELP!" I yelled but it only echoed through the distance. 

Even if I did get some help. How can they get me down from this tree? It's too tall. 

I decided to try climbing it down. I just need to endure the pain...it'll be alright. My brave attempt failed immediately after I landed on the second branch and slipped.