58. Shabari's Dream Day

To the west of the exquisite Pampa lake was an Ashrama. The Ashrama of Maharishi Matanga.

Rama, followed by Lakshmana, walked into the hermitage, their lotus feet crumbling the crisp leaves underneath them. The hermitage looked old and worn-out. Most forms of life were missing, although there were some trees. Only that those trees were mostly dry. It was a stark contrast to the lush, fresh, fully bloomed, beautiful image that was outside. However, that did not reduce the auspiciousness or the divinity that the place held. It was still beautiful, only the colour scheme was very different.

A mud cottage with a thatched roof, along with some simple window doors and a single main door, stood in the middle of the fenced area. Around it were some dry leaves, forming a thorough carpet.

Out of the cottage walked an old, divine lady. Was she Shabari?

Gorgeous, divine lotus eyes. When Shabari's old and longing ones met those, she went numb in delight. Her hands were joined, trembling and her lips twitched into a smile, before she immediately dropped to the ground and literally hugged Rama's feet.

Rama's jaw dropped, and he turned a light shade of pink in extreme embarrassment. He instantly kneeled down and tried to lift the old woman up to her feet. Lakshmana smiled, proud as ever of his brother. He'd love to live there, at his feet, and he knew the delight and bliss that one could find at his feet. But before he could realise, Shabari clutched Lakshmana's feet too, and he directly turned a bright crimson. Rama smiled so genuinely, after such a long time, that Lakshmana felt so many of his worries disappearing away. He pulled the old woman up, back to her feet, who stared at the young men, her eyes tear filled, but a smile as bright as the sun adorning her face.

"Mata Shabari?" said Rama, his melodious voice fulfilling all of the desires that the woman had held in her heart.

"Y-Yes, I am Shabari, I am so blessed-Just-just one moment!" she said hastily, wiping away the tears that she had shed of joy, as she went to bring them some water.

"Lakshman, you're red!" commented Rama, glancing at him with the corner of his eyes.

"What do you expect if someone so old and respectable falls at MY feet? I mean, if it's you, it's different. I'm just another guy!" said Lakshmana, only turning redder.

"Here, Prabhu, please accept some water. Please." she said, handing a little bit for them to wash their hands and feet, before she offered some drinking water to them. Rama, accepting it gracefully, also accepted the seat that was offered to him by the humble woman.

Shabari offered the brothers a few fruits each too, apart from having given them water and other necessities.

"Now, Raghunayaka, please let me leave for the other world, where my preceptors now reside. My life has been blessed, now that I have seen your lotus face and have had the fortune to touch your feet." she said truthfully.

"Sure, Mata. You may surely do as you like." consented Rama, and in a pyre went Shabari, before she transformed into a celestial lady, clad in heavenly silks. She bowed down to the sons of Dasharatha, before vanishing.

★★★

I shouldn't have. I should not have done that! I was the one who sent Ram to get that deer. And how right was Lakshman about that deer being a demon! Oh, and what I told Lakshman. He must have wanted to stab me and kill me at that very moment. No. He must have wanted to stab himself, because he would not even have said a word of complaint against me to Ram by himself.

Sita felt like she had shattered two people by one simple action of hers. Asking for a mere deer. It was as simple as that. Asking for a deer had caused so much. She was sure that Rama must be lamenting for her at every step he would take. She knew that he would be cursing himself for everything that had happened. She knew that he would be cursing her fate to have given her a husband of that sort. She knew that he would want to kill himself, and the world for having allowed everything that had happened.

Lakshmana. Oh that poor boy. It wasn't his fault. None of it was his mistake. But he would have to deal with the consuming guilt that was very naturally a part of his character. She knew it, that he, although entirely blameless, would ensure that he would kill himself with the silent guilt and the amount of bottled up emotions. She knew how much he would bottle everything up, as he always did, and wouldn't open up on anything whatsoever. He would torture himself, she knew that, as his mother. No. Not mother. She did not deserve that title whatsoever. She was the most irresponsible, most brutal, rudest, most cruel woman in existence. She thought that she was the absolute worst.

How on earth could she have said that to him?! He was one of the most pious-hearted men in the universe. She never remembered him looking at her over her feet. Never. And she accused him of having heinous intentions. There was no chance whatsoever that he would even have that thought crossing his mind for a fraction of a second. No.

She felt like she was at fault for practically EVERYTHING. How could she have even imagined that, even in her extreme rage? Obviously, Lakshmana would never, ever, not in a million lives of his, would even think of such a corrupt, impure idea. It was wrong. And now, she didn't even know what other things the brothers would have to endure to retrieve her from the clutches of that demon, Ravana. Blood, sweat and tears, she knew, would certainly be a part of it all. Perhaps a battle? Oh no! All because of her! She just hoped that wouldn't happen. Not even to retrieve her should they have to enter the battlefield. For she knew that if they did, they wouldn't exit. Not without defeating the enemy. Not without killing the rival. Or without...dying. NO! That-That couldn't happen! She couldn't let that happen! She had to do something. Yes, her life was in danger, but that brought so much more danger to her husband and her brother. They, she knew for sure, would do absolutely anything, not thinking of the consequences, for her, and only for her.

What would happen next?

Would she be retrieved safely?

Would the trio return to Ayodhya on time, safe and alive?

It was all a mystery.

★★★★★

A/N: 1100 words only. Almost compensation from prev chp...

I really didn't enjoy writing this chapter. I got terribly bored of the first part and Ridhima helped me (as she's done so many times!) And for the Sita part and her guilt and all... I just...wrote thag. It's just like a filler, because 554 words (or whatever) was all that the shabari part took up. So it was the only thing I could do. Sorry, guys, will come with a better chapter in the next update, don't worry.

That's all.

Thank you so much for reading, guys! Byee!💖😁