40. Love

"Rajkumar, there are thefts in our district. And dacoits, they are practically everywhere! We need some help, Kumar, desperately. Some children who go to play around in the forests return with injuries, or some of them don't even return. They get robbed, and we, as you know, are not rich enough to afford our children getting robbed of the only jewelry they wear. Help us, Rajkumar," a man pleaded as Shatrughna listened to his requests wholeheartedly.

"Hmm. This is a major issue, especially for those who cannot defend themselves. I shall send a troop of soldiers to your district so that the dacoits can be caught hold of. The other robbers and thieves will be caught hold of too, and we will try to do all of this as quickly as we can. The soldiers will be sent right away," he replied. "Please don't worry any longer for the safety of your people. They'll be completely protected, our soldiers will certainly do the needful,"

★★★

"Well, this is Dandaka! I mean, honestly, this natural beauty is just wow!" said Rama, as they walked through the jungle, birds chirping melodiously. "Sita, are you alright?" he continued, seeing her speed decrease suddenly.

"Um... Yeah, I just wanted some water, you know. I'm just feeling a-"

"What happened? Oh god! Wait I'll just get some water Bhabhi! Right away. I'll be back in a second..." said Lakshmana, as he ran closer to a hermitage that they could see at a distance.

"You're fine right, Sita?" asked Rama again.

"Oh of course, Raghav. I was just thirsty, I mean, you both need to stop worrying so much!" she replied, shaking her head.

"Here, Bhabhi! Water!" said Lakshmana, before he bent down, holding his knees, to take a breath.

"Thank you very much, Laksh," she smiled. "Where did you get this from, by the way?"

"There is a hermitage here, that's where I got it from," said Lakshmana, before he suddenly narrowed his eyes, a frown forming on his face, as he strained his ear as though to listen to something.

"Everything okay, Laksh?" said Rama upon noticing Lakshmana's expression.

"No, Bhaiya,"

"What happened? Did you get hurt?" asked Rama, moving closer to his brother.

"No, Bhaiya. I hear something. Like a Rakshas, perhaps," he said.

"Rakshas? Ookaay," said Rama, drawing an arrow out of his inexhaustible quiver, as he stationed it on his bow.

A growl being the first indication, a Rakshasa, namely Viradha, stomped close to the trio, and instantly tried to pick Sita up in his hands. Rama's heart beat furiously, as he shot a powerful arrow into his arm, resulting in him letting Sita alone and moving towards the brothers. Roaring, this time he engaged himself in a battle against the both of them, as they showered innumerable arrows at him. Eventually, battling with each other, the duo of brothers was taken away from Sita, by Viradha.

Although they were still shooting arrows at the demon continually, Viradha was successful in bringing them aside from Sita. But Rama and Lakshmana, being the greatest warriors one could possibly find in the era, had injured Viradha enough for him to fall unconscious. However, even that many injuries, and gaping and abundantly bleeding wounds couldn't kill the creature. Rama, therefore, decided that burying the demon would be the best move to make at the time. Having asked Lakshmana to dig a big enough pit for the demon, he kept the Rakshasa well in his hold. When the demon regained consciousness, he revealed to Rama that he had been cursed by Kubera, therefore he was in the form of a Rakshasa, but he was a celestial in his real form. Informing Rama that dying at his hands would free him of his curse, he accepts his defeat and consequential death.