104. सीता-रामः

"Daasharathi," began Indra, the satisfaction in him evident in his voice. "What you have done is exemplary. To eliminate Ravana, you've worked very hard and have undergone a lot of difficulties. Tell us now, Rama, your wish. We will be delighted to grant you anything you wish for." Rama smiled. He thought for not more than a moment, before looking up at Indra, who nodded assuringly, urging Rama to voice out his wish.

"A number of monkeys who died in this war, for me, for Dharma, rather, truly deserve to live. Shakra, if you could bring them all back to life, I'd be grateful. They deserve to live longer, O Lord." said Rama, his hands folded. Indra nodded thoughtfully. It wasn't exactly right to return those who had died.

"It's difficult for me to do this, Raghunatha," Indra said, his lips pursed. Rama nodded understandingly but the twinkle in his eyes almost disappeared. "However, since I said I would grant you anything you asked for, the Vanaras will be gifted with life again, and they'll be perfectly healthy to live the way they did before this war." Rama looked up, beaming, before he bowed his head down in a gesture to thank Indra.

★★★

Rama held Sita's hand in his as they sat under the moonlight, the massive waves of the Indian Ocean looking rather small by the time they crashed into their lotus feet. They barely spoke, just sat in the comfortable silence, leaning onto one another.

Sita constantly fiddled with the bracelet he wore in his hands, as though she had missed that more than him. "Priye," breathed Rama. "You seem to love that bracelet of mine more than me," he said, seemingly offended. Sita smacked his hand lightly.

"You're so right, Ram! Obviously, I was waiting for this bracelet to come and kill Ravan, didn't you know?" She rolled her eyes.

"Sitey," he began almost hesitantly. Sita turned to him and nodded. "I'm sorry. I couldn't protect you. I brought you along with me to the forest, but I-I couldn't protect you-" He faltered as he tried to explain himself. Sita waited for him to finish, before cupping his face.

"Who do you think is the reason I'm here today, by your side?" she asked calmly.

"You. It's your strength. Had you not believed in me, I'd have never done it-"

"There we go! You just said that it was you who did it, Ram! It really was you. Don't apologise, please! You did so much for me. Why do you want to go back in the past, where everything was so bleak? Let's look at the brighter times that are to come, when we'll be back in Ayodhya, with our Matas and our siblings!" she said, smiling. Rama shook his head in a tentative "Yes". "Come on, I need you to show me that enchanting smile of yours!" Rama couldn't help the smile that creeped onto his face when he saw those innocent, brown eyes of his wife. How did she manage to cheer him up even when everything was barely just fine?

"D-Did you eat anything while in Ashoka Vatika?" asked Rama, freeing himself, as if ready to run to get any food for her at the very moment. Sita smiled nervously. "You look so slight, all of a sudden! You look too thin, I'll go get some food right away!" Rama got up to go, but on taking just two steps, he stopped and turned back to look at her, as though she would disappear if he didn't hold on to her. "I-I can't leave leave you alone," he murmured.

"It's okay, Ram. I'm fine, I can wait here for you," she tried to assure him. Rama shook his head.

"I believe in learning from my mistakes, Bhumija." he said. Lakshmana strolled past the two, trying not to invade the privacy they totally deserved. Rama glanced at him with the corner of his eye, before glancing at Sita. Sita sprung up her eyebrows, before scrunching them. It looked like she was asking Rama to call Lakshmana. "Hey!" he squealed. Lakshmana jumped up, rather surprised, for there had been perfect silence until then.