11. Lakshmila

"Janak, I want you to consider this," Vishvamitra said.

"What is it Guruvar? Please tell me," Janaka requested.

"You must've noticed something about Rama's brothers. They're all just as talented and cultured as him, and I believe those boys will be the best alliance you could ever make with anybody for your four girls," he said.

Janaka couldn't respond. He couldn't believe that all his four daughters were to get married with the most prestigious royals of the subcontinent.

"Janak?"

"Ji, Guruvar," said Janaka hastily. "I'll speak to Raja Dasharath. I'm absolutely fine with this alliance. If they and the children are fine with it, then I couldn't ask for something better!"

★★★

"What!" shrieked Lakshmana. "Marriage? No no no no noooooooooooooo!"

"What is your issue with a simple wedding?" Shatrughna asked with a shrug.

"Shatru darling, it isn't just me who's getting wedded. You too would be married," Lakshmana informed.

"What! Why me??? No no no! I am never getting married!" Shatrughna declared.

"Oh! Shatru baby is such a thaali ka baingan!" Bharata commented.

Rama was having absolute fun seeking that his brother's were also getting married. He loved to see their reactions.

"Boys, you'd be great couples. Bharat, Mandavi; Lakshman, Urmila; Shatrughna & Shrutakeerti. Oh how nice it'll be!" Rama said with a fond smile.

"Nice, my foot! I'm least interested in marrying that shy little girl. Bhaiya, she doesn't even speak!" Shatrughna complained.

"Keerti is a sweet girl, Shatru. She'll learn to speak once she weds you," Rama teased with a wink.

"Learn to speak at the age of what, fifteen?" Shatrughna cried. "I started to speak when I was like eight months old, I guess,"

"What about you, my darling?" asked Rama, putting an arm around an upset Lakshmana. "I'm sure you're fine with this wedding. You like Urmila, don't you?" he whispered.

"What!" Lakshmana said in utter shock and looked up in quite a strong jerk, hurting his neck just a little.

"Yeah, I mean, you were roaming around with her the day I lifted the bow, weren't you?" he asked.

"I was, but that doesn't mean I "like" her. She's just a friend Bhaiya. Any girl I speak to, I'm interested in her?" he reasoned. Certainly not! Later in life, we'd all see a remarkable example of that from him.

"Laksh, but you don't put an arm around a female friend, just a few days after you've met her. I could understand if it was a boy, but this is ju-"

"Bhaiya! She was literally weeping, okay? So don't I have to console a weeping friend? Just because you're getting married, I feel like you want to get us all married!" he declared harshly.

Rama couldn't care less. He just laughed it off and followed Lakshmana as the latter stormed out of the room, into the palace gardens.

Oh what bad luck he'd had that day, that Urmila was sitting right there.

"Lakshman," she said softly. "You heard about the marriage?"