12. The Confessions

"So you do realise that you love her, right?" Rama asked Lakshmana.

Lakshmana was in his own dreamland. He barely realised that Rama was speaking to him.

"Laksh?"

"Ji...ji bhaiya," Lakshmana said. He looked rather baffled.

"Are you okay, Laksh? I mean, you've been quiet for far too long now," Rama said.

"Pranam Bhaiya," Lakshmana said non-contextually and tried to go out of the room, but Rama pulled him right back.

"What pranam? Lakshman! I've had enough, now," said Rama angrily.

"Bhaiya, I'm really sorry. I've to go now, I have to!"

"Laksh,"

★★★

"We need to talk, Mila," said Lakshmana.

"Umm... Okay, sure," said Urmila.

"Mila, I think I love you, but,"

"But?"

"You're not the only one. I mean..." said Lakshmana hesitantly.

"Oh don't tell me you love another woman!" she snapped.

"No, no chance!" he justified. "My brothers are basically my life. I can't let harm come to them. Especially Ram bhaiya, you know,"

"Hmm, I get it," she said. Although she put her response very simply, she understood that there was a lot behind it.

"Sorry, Mila, but if I ever, ever have to choose between you and bhaiya, I feel it will be him. It will certainly be him," he said, his glances lowered in what he thought of as shame.

A smile brightened her adorable face. "It's okay, Lakshman. I can understand. You can choose your bhaiya every time and I'll still love you just as much,"

"Are you sure? Reconsider your decision of marrying me in the very first place,"

"That, I'm never doing. I love you, Lakshman, and that won't change, no matter what destiny has for us," she said. Was she sure of that?

"Thanks, Mila," he said with a relieved smile, finally.

★★★

"Yeah, Saumitra," she said.

"You can call me Shatrughna, or... Or Shatru, as my brothers call me," he said with a twinkle in his eyes.

"No, Saumitra," said Shrutakeerti. She was blushing heavily.

"So..." said Shatrughna, trying hard to initiate a conversation. "You're the pampered kid too, huh?" he said with a grin.

"Yeah, I am. Even by my sisters," she said, composing herself.

"Even I," he said. 'At least one similarity!' he thought to himself.

"Oh I saw you the other day. You were on a tree..."

(Flashback)

"Keerti, I want that mango! It looks better than this one," Mandavi whined.

"Didi, what does ''look'' better mean? Don't you want a mango that tastes better, not looks better?"

"Absolutely, but you can make out by the looks. And also, yours looks beautifully raw. That's what I want Keerti! Raw mangoes are the tastiest!" she declared.