79. The Night of Dissolution

Ravana climbed onto his chariot, played with gold everywhere, and detailed with minute designs and patterns, apart from, of course, a truckload of precious and pristine looking gemstones and crystals. Nobody really ever understood why these generals and princes and the King of Lanka had such over decorated and extremely, even unnecessarily, expensive chariots. What would they do with gemstones on a chariot, which is going to have blood being splattered everywhere, and swords and arrows piercing through anything that was found? Why did the darkness of war really require so much? Precious gems and intricately designed gold work on the chariots, how did they help? They were truly more of a distraction, really, than anything else at all.

But that was not the point. There was more important stuff to do, and that was to listen to Vibhishana.

"He has an ego that is literally his lifeline. He can live without a heart or brain also, but not without his ego!" he said seriously. Nala wanted to chuckle but decided against it, because maybe Vibhishana did have a temper too? He thought that there was more behind any person than what could be seen. Like his maturity, which he had displayed only when it was utterly required. And that quality or trait, for Vibhishana, could be a sort of fiery anger. It was a possibility. Why not? Okay, back to the point.

Rama nodded, listening to what Vibhishana had said, while Lakshmana seemingly glared at Ravana, even from such a distance. "We shall fight him with out best warriors!" said Rama, his voice serene as ever, but with a commanding tinge to it, as all Kings had. And before anybody (read Lakshmana) could say something like, "I'll go! I'll kill him in a moment. I'll be right back!" and run away, Sugreeva had already jumped over everybody and was now standing before Ravana with his teeth bared and fists clenched tightly. 

He somersaulted towards a mountain nearby and actually broke a large part of the peak and hurled it at Ravana, but while it was still in midair, the force of gravity seemingly reduced and it took longer and longer to reach Ravana, as the latter, with his arrows of a golden colour, shattered the peak that was coming at him.

Sugreeva grabbed a tree trunk and threw it straight into Ravana's chariot, but it did not really seem to do anything to Ravana, other than rekindling the fire of rage that was burning almost permanently in him.

Ravana gritted his teeth and shot a few of his arrows at Sugreeva, who was completely unaffected, and he simply kept hurling more stones and rocks at Ravana, agitating him to a great extent, as he heaved one of his maces from the ground and threw it towards the monkey. The King of the Vanaras, however, dodged it cleanly, and smirked, as Ravana was left fuming, steam blowing out of his ears.

Ultimately, Ravana, from his entirely filled quiver, grabbed an arrow that looked extraordinary, plated with gold and its arrowheads looking like flaming fangs of a snake, and he unleashed it straight at Sugreeva. Sugreeva didn't find a way to defend himself in time, and as the powerful arrow struck him in the chest, he fell back, bereft of consciousness, and Ravana moved on in his chariot, his bloodshot eyes twinkling at his first victory, as he cackled almost tauntingly.

The demons in the army cheered jubilantly when they saw that the King of Apes had been defeated, and had fallen to the ground, while the monkeys looked helpless and anxious at the state of their king. But before they could lose hope, their superhero, their Hanuman leapt in from literally nowhere and punched Ravana's chest with his bare fist, and Ravana was now gasping for breath and was turning pale, unable to cackle or roar or even say a single word.

While he was still recovering from the blow, Hanuman gave him another blow on his head, and the King went reeling. The army of apes began to cheer once again, as the demons stared at the duel in horror. Their King was almost being defeated, and they could not believe their eyes.