60. The Alliance

Hanuman took the brothers to the mountain where his King was now living.

"Just a minute. I'll bring Maharaj here." said Hanuman, politely asking the brothers to sit down comfortably on the boulder seats that were placed in the cave. Rama nodded. After so many years, he was feeling like a royal. It was after so long that he was meeting somebody of technically another kingdom. He was there to make an alliance, something that he should've otherwise done so many times in the past thirteen plus years. If he had become the emperor of Kosala, he would've had to do that almost all the time. But here he was, making an alliance with the king who didn't have his kingdom, just like himself. Here he was, making an alliance, not for the prosperity of their kingdoms, but for helping each other as friends do. Here he was, making an alliance, so that he could help Sugreeva and could in turn have his help in finding his wife, Sita.

Sugreeva walked in. He had a little, simple gold crown placed on his head. Definitely did not look like the King's crown. It just looked like a simple, namesake ornament kind of thing. But he looked pretty strong, honestly. Certainly not as muscular and looming as Hanuman. He looked really disturbed and weary, almost like everything in his life was just over. He wasn't looking very hopeful, but after Hanuman told him what had happened to the brothers lately, he felt like there was someone else who was suffering too. He felt like he wasn't alone. He knew it was wrong to think that way, but he couldn't quite help it. He joined his hands together in formal greeting to the brothers. They both did the same too.

"I am Sugreev. You are Yuvraj Ram and Rajkumar Lakshman, right?" he said a little sort of hesitantly. He instantly began to reprimand himself in his head. Obviously they were. Not like they would be lying, now!

"Yeah. I am Ram, and he is Lakshman." said Rama.

"Hanuman told me." said Sugreeva, nodding thoughtfully.

"Would you tell us how we could help you?" asked Rama rather hesitantly. Sugreeva didn't look like he was in the mood to speak about his painful past.

Clearing his throat, Sugreeva looked in Rama's eyes. It seemed to give him some courage. "Vali, my brother ruled our kingdom, Kishkindha earlier, and even now, continues to do so. This was a long time back, a demon came and challenged the kingdom for a fight. Obviously, being warriors, we accepted it and went for a battle. At one point, the demon had gone into a cave, and my enraged brother went in, asking me to guard outside. I did it, although I wished to go inside and fight as well. After a long drawn duel, suddenly I heard a roar. And then it was a river of blood flowing out of the cave! I thought that the demon just killed my brother and that was why he had let out such a loud cry of victory. Naturally, in order to protect the kingdom, I rolled a humongous boulder and shut the mouth of the cave and returned to our kingdom. With no other choice left, I was crowned king. But one day, my brother turned up. And as happy as everyone else was, he was wrathful. He thought that I wanted to get him killed so that I could have the throne. He chased me, he drove me out of the kingdom, he banished me. He did not even listen to me, not even once. It is this mountain, Rishyamukha, which has been my home ever since, for he had been cursed that he cannot enter this mountain." He continued with his woeful narration. "He has my wife, Ruma. He abducted her! Kill him, oh son of Dasharath, so I can have my wife again."

Rama nodded just as thoughtfully. Lakshmana waited for a response from his brother.

"I believe we can both help each other." said Rama confidently. "I can help you with the task of reclaiming your throne. Do not worry, Sugreev."

Sugreeva still looked very apprehensive, however. How could anybody defeat his mighty brother, he thought.

"Not to brag, Maharaj Sugreev, but I killed Tadaka and Subahu while I was still a young boy." said Rama, sensing the apprehension. "And Khar and Dushan and their army of fourteen thousand. And Mareech."