23. The King To-Be

"Yes, Maa. We all did help a lot in the administration of Videha," said Shrutakeerti.

"Okay. So I have decided that for a week, only the eight of you will manage the kingdom. My queens and I will be mere spectators. Are you all ready?" said Dasharatha, excited to see his crown prince do the work along with his brothers and the girls.

"Yay! This will be so nice!" squealed Mandavi, her hands clenched together.

"Yeah, I am ready! I'll do anything that Ram Bhaiya asks me to do," said Lakshmana, his eyes twinkling in excitement.

"We're all going to do that, aren't we?" said Bharata.

"We are. Our king and queen, that is Maharaj Ram, and Maharani Sita, will order us, and we'll do exactly what they tell us!" said Lakshmana, even more excited this time.

"We aren't Maharaj and Maharani, Lakshman," said Rama. "Why are you so excited, while calling us that?" he laughed.

"Because you are going to be the king and queen indeed!" squeaked Shatrughna.

"Okay, okay!" said Sita, almost overwhelmed by how encouraging and lovely her relatives were. "We should get to work now, shouldn't we?"

The three younger couples all looked at each other knowingly, before saying, "As you wish, queen!" And Sita smiled widely at the amount of respect and love she was getting.

★★★

"Bharat and Shrutakeerti, good friends you are, aren't you?" said Rama teasingly, before he continued, "You'll manage the agricultural issues that come here. You may also have to go to the fields to check everything,"

"Ji, Bhaiya!" they said, in unison, as their siblings watched them amusedly. They were good friends. Shrutakeerti thought of Bharata as a very understanding, respectable elder brother.

"The military sector will be managed by Lakshman and Shatrughna," declared Rama.

"Ji bhaiya," they both said determinedly.

"I think Mandavi can help too, considering the large number of military equipment, training and other things to be done," said Sita.

"Okay, Didi. I'll help them too," she replied.

"And Urmila," said Rama. "You will help me and Sita with the administration. Mandavi can help both Bharat & Keerti, and Laksh & Shatru,"

★★★

"Rajkumar, the soil in the south-western regions of Kosala is not in a condition good enough to grow food crops. The village head wants to meet you," said one of the courtiers.

A short man, with a long white beard, entered the court. "Rajkumar Bharat! Pranam! I'm blessed to be seeing you!" he cried, his hands folded.

"Pranam," he replied graciously. "Please tell me,"

"Rajkumar, the soil in the southwestern villages of the empire is too infertile for use. The farmers are facing a great loss. The yield is extremely low quantity and quality, and the poorer farmers aren't able to do much for the soil's quality to improve," he complained.

"The growth of lentils and legumes can help. But I believe they can't purchase seeds because they're poor, isn't that right?" said Bharata.

"Yes, Kumar. You're right," said the man.

"Kaka," said Shrutakeerti. "I believe that the high prices are posing quite an issue. Sellers of essentials for farmers, which is a large population,  want more money. So bhaiya, I think we should speak to Ram Bhaiya, so that he can bring some changes in some laws, so that the basic facilities, and requirements for farmers are not overpriced as per the wishes of the rich,"