xxi. different colors

Start from the beginning

----

June 10, 1978

1:30 pm

The graduation ball was that night though Arabella didn't care, so she had spent the morning in the greenhouses helping Professor Sprout re-pot plants. It was something she had come to love; every month, Sprout would ask her to do it, and Arabella simply couldn't refuse the kind woman's offer. Arabella was currently wearing her baggy overalls and a short sleeve black shirt that did an excellent job covering all the dirt marks she had accumulated throughout the day. Arabella had finished helping a few hours ago, and now she was heading back to her classroom to tend to her own plants. Since she was just a chaperone, she didn't think to put too much time into her appearance. She had gone to London with Benji the week before to buy a dress and shoes, but that was the extent of her preparations.

Opening her classroom door, she was greeted with the smell of cigarettes and expensive cologne, and she knew exactly who it was; her favorite Slytherins. Both boys were lounging on the sofa, reading her books and eating her snacks.

Arabella rubbed her forehead in exasperation, "Boys!" She yelled, getting their attention, "how the hell did you all get in?"

The boys sheepishly stopped their actions and sent her big bright smiles.

"Nothing that a little Alohomora charm can't do," said Regulus with a cheeky smile.

Arabella shook her head in amusement and walked into the room, "You know that can get you both a detention, right?"

Evan came over to her and threw his arm around her shoulders, "Oh, but Ara! You wouldn't do that to your favorite students, would you?"

"My favorite students? I don't see the Gryffindors around." she teased, knowing that would make them mad.

Evan choked on air, and Regulus gasped, "WE ARE BETTER THAN THE GRYFFINDORS!" they yelled.

"Ehh..." she shrugged indifferently, causing the dramatic boys to pretend to leave the room.

Arabella laughed, "I'm messing with you. Anyways why did you break into my classroom?"

Regulus shrugged, "We were bored, so we thought about coming to hang out with you, but when you weren't here, we decided to wait."

Arabella was glad that Regulus had grown to be more comfortable around her. He felt like her little brother. Since that day she took him to Hogsmeade for Christmas shopping, he would spend hours in her company talking about the most random things and, more importantly, learning about the muggle world, something Regulus was intrigued by.

"Solid reason to break in," she said as she set her stuff down. "If you boys are so bored, you wouldn't mind helping me re-pot plants, would you?"

They both shook their heads with disgusted expressions, "I don't do dirt, Ara." Evan said.

Arabella sighed, "Well, I guess I'm going to have to give you both detentions."

"No!" they both shouted, "We'll help!" Regulus said while he pulled an extremely unhappy Evan along.

"Perfect!" Arabella said while clapping her hands. She told the boys what to do and what tools to use. It was a significant surprise that both boys were talented in herbology and knew exactly what to do with her plants, even the muggle ones.

While the boys started putting on gloves and arguing about who would handle the poisonous plants, Arabella went to set up her walkman. She wouldn't let the boys suffer gardening without good music. Selecting a mixtape that she had recently made with artists from this era, she popped it in and let the music flow.