Chapter 25

Chapter 25: Plan

I kept my straight face as I wait for my Mom in the jail.

It didn't take long when I have a glimpse of her. She's wearing an orange t-shirt. Very opposite of what she's wearing every day in our household. I wonder how these thing happens?

She sat down in front of me and gave me the coldest gaze I've ever felt today.

I clasped both of my hands and looked at her. "How are you, Mama?"

I was expecting a good response but she answered me with such questions, "why are you here?"

I felt a lump inside my throat. But I still kept my straight face. I should be unfazed. "Of course." I leaned my back at the chair I'm currently sitting on. "You're my mother after all."

"Tsk. You're curious aren't you? Go on. I'll answer anything."

She's quick to know what my motives are, huh? Well I shouldn't be surprised since she's an intelligent woman after all. But I don't think doing this is a smart move. After all, this is like digging her own grave.

"Bakit?" I asked shortly. My grip on my palm, tightened as I wait for her reply. It's a question so quick to answer yet to complicated.

"Para saan pa? For my children." She looked at me.

I noticed her eyes reddening, the tip of her noses also reddened as well as her hands on top of the table trembled.

"But this isn't a smart move." I whispered so emotionally.

"It is for me." She smiled.

My tears fell as I looked at her, struggling to stopped her tears from falling. She touched my hand and caresses it. Just like how she will do it every night to make my fall deep in my slumber. "For you to have better future."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Pero magkakaroon lami ng mas magandang hinaharap kung naroon ka Ma..." I said so soft. I'm not even sure if she heard it.

She laughed. "You'll be better off without me honey. I'll be jailed forever." She's taking this so lightly like she already.... accepted the idea of getting inside the jail. "At least you grow up so humble and smart."

I bowed my head and bites my lip to lessen the sound I'm making.

"I want you to be successful. Not like me. Don't be like me."

I don't want to nod. It's as if I'm admitting to myself that she is bad. Wherein fact, she is not! She's the kindest person I've ever know. The only person who will not judge me. The only person I lean onto.

The only person who love me unconditionally.

"Promise me one thing, Beatrice."

I still kept my head down, not wanting her to see me crying so pathetically. I did not talk.

"Be a good politician and don't be corrupt. Understood honey?"

Inangat ko ang aking ulo at sinalubong ang kaniyang mga tingin. Ang ganda nang mga ngiti niya! Pero nangingilid ang kaniyang mga luha na kailanman ay ayaw ko nang makita pa.

Parang tinarak ng ilang milyong pana ang aking puso sa ekesanang nasa harap ko.

Si Mama, nakakahel ma damit, nakangiti at umiiyak sa harap ko, at nakakulong.

"You're.... not. Ma, please tell them you're not!" I wailed and hold both of her hands.

Hindi. Hindi kurap si Mama. Hindi siya kailanman naging ganoon! Hindi!