xvii. my body is a cage

Comenzar desde el principio

"Protector?" she echoed his words.

"Yes. We refer to elementals as protectors. They are protectors of the earth and its processes." Bane answered.

Firenze saw the confusion cross over Arabella's face, "We will explain once we get to the colony."

After ten minutes of silent walking, they arrived. Arabella had never seen a centaur colony before. Deep in the forbidden forest were undisturbed huts. Hundreds of centaurs were roamed freely, young and old alike. Once they detected her presence, everything stopped. They put down their work and bowed to her. She was extremely uncomfortable and didn't understand why they were bowing to her like some royal. In fact, she felt unworthy of being there. Arabella had always been the one to promote centaur rights because she thought they were disregarded and abused species, where in reality, they were knowledgeable and gentle beings.

Firenze noticed her discomfort and said, "Please rise, brothers and sisters, and go back to your work." and just as he said that, they did.

"Follow me," said Bane to Arabella.

Quickly following the centaurs, they brought her to a large hut, most likely reserved for the colony's chief, Firenze. It had high ceilings and a large fire pit in the middle. There were shelves upon shelves of books and scrolls scattered around the room, most likely star charts.

They offered her a seat and asked if she wanted something to eat, to which she said no. Arabella honestly felt like she was dreaming.

Firenze stood in front of her, "Alright, what's your first question?" he asked her.

Arabella searched her brain for a good one, but all she came up with was, "Why me?"

Firenze and Bane chuckled, "You, young one, are extremely special. Handpicked by the ancestors. I'm sure you are aware that not everyone in the Dubois line gets the powers, yes?" Arabella nodded, "It was said many years ago that the earth was going to be without a protector. There hasn't been a balance of earth magic in centuries. The protectors work as a mediator between humans and the earth." Firenze said.

"Alright..." Arabella started slowly, trying to take in all that information, "but I can't control the elements, I mean, I can, but it happens in stressful situations, almost like accidental magic."

"Right, that's where we come in. We can help you control these powers. The elementals before you also had to learn, but they learned from their elders. Since you don't have elders that are alive to teach you, we will."

"Wait, how do you all know how to do that?" she asked.

"Well, since Marie Dubois was the one that predicted that there wasn't going to be an elemental for years. Before she left for America, she came to us. She told us about the powers and how to control them. She taught us how to teach them to the next elemental. It has been legends since we were small that a protector would return. Our elders, the ones who met Marie, taught their children and so on. Hence how we still know the teachings. She wanted to let us be your guide, though you came a little earlier than when we were expecting you." Firenze said.

Arabella looked at them with wide eyes, "You know?" she whispered.

They both nodded, "We know a lot of things. We know that you are a time traveler."

She fidgeted with her rings, "Um yes, a time traveler. Okay, back to the other thing you said, why couldn't I do these powers to their full extent when I was younger?"

"An elemental's powers don't come into full play until they are of age. I am assuming that you could do more things when you became seventeen?" Bane asked.