"Z's not here."

"What do you mean not here ? And would you stop with the Z? She made it explicitly clear that she doesn't want to be called that anymore. You're her husband. You should know. Just give your damn wife the phone."

"I told you. She's not here. She's gone."

"Gone? Are you fucking kidding me?! You let someone take her from right under your nose?!" Marilyn screamed.

"What's up with everyone thinking she's been taken when I say she's gone?! You think I'd let her be taken so easily?! I'd put my fucking life on the line before I'd allow her to be taken again!" Karim growled out.

People were looking at him shout at whoever he was talking to but he didn't care. He could feel people's stare on him. They didn't know what he was talking about but he decided to lower his tone a bit.

"Then what do you mean by gone!?"

"She fucking left! Is that enough explanation for you or you want to know the whole reason behind her leaving me?"

Marilyn was quiet.

"She left you? Why would she do something like that? You two fucking loved each other."

"I've stopped asking why. Only she can answer that question. Since she isn't here, there's no use asking why."

"Did you do something to get..."

"Are you trying to make me the reason I was dumped by my wife?" Karim gritted out.

"I'm trying to fucking understand why! You were good for her. You were safe. And why on Earth didn't I find out about this? How long has she been gone?" Marilyn asked.

"Almost as long as you've not called."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

Marilyn answered herself.
"You thought she was with me. Because I had said I'd take her away from you if something happened."

"Bingo."

"Have you tried looking for her?"

"I'm tired, Marilyn. I'm so fucking tired. I don't think I have it in me to fight anymore. She left. Left me with signed divorce papers. Even if I got her back what's to say she wouldn't leave again. I don't deserve something like that. Especially from her. Even you should know." Karim poured out.

"I'm sorry, Karim. Maybe she had her reasons but you honestly didn't serve this. I know you want to believe you don't care and you have all the right in the world to act so. But I'll find her and find out what made her do this."

"You don't need to. She explained herself."

"She did? What did she say?"

"Say? More like wrote. She couldn't even tell me she was leaving in my fucking face."

"Hmmm. I'll still try to find her and if you ever want to know what's happening with her give me a call."

"You said never to call."

"I'll make an exception. Again. I'm sorry."

"You don't need to apologize for her."

"I feel like I have to."

"I have to go, Marilyn."

"I'll be in touch."

"Please don't." Karim didn't want anything to do with Z and anyone she was affiliated with.

"Karim..."

"Good day." Karim ended the call.

He raked his hair and groaned loudly. He could feel his heart constricting just from talking about her. He had been trying to be okay for so long and everything was being sent down the drain just from one call.
He had run off from home to do what he had to do just to take his mind off her. But it seemed the meer thought of her would follow him forever.
He had to push harder to forget everything about her.
Everything.