Luce

Light brown hair with a tomboy cut, generous shapes, a sincere and spontaneous smile, a round face, small eyes, a discreet make-up which highlights her caramel brown eye and her sky blue eye, a calm voice and  sweet, Luce is a young woman who inspires confidence.

I welcome him warmly.

- Welcome among us !  Excuse me if I am wrong, but I did not see your name on the list of professionals authorized to attend the gala.
- I am the replacement for Mr Rafi Puttagio.  He had an impediment, I volunteered to shed light on your engagement.  Do you have a moment to devote to me?
- Of course, a photo shoot with the professionals and volunteers of the association was planned during the evening, it will be with pleasure to collaborate with you.
- Do you mind if I photograph you at different times of the evening?
- No, I'm used to it.  Do what you have to do, I will have remained natural in the photos.

Luce takes a few pictures then I withdraw to make a note of presence to the other guests.  I must admit that she did not leave me indifferent.  This woman attracts positive waves around her with her innate tranquility.

I prepare for the elocution of my speech which Hailey took care to correct beforehand.  I close my eyes and take several deep breaths.  During the preparation of my speech, I was careful not to offend anyone with my words.  It would be deplorable if I hurt a victim or a former victim of violence of any kind.  Hailey helps me up the few steps that separate me from the desk.  I see Thelma seated at the table, she applauds me with the assembly.  I am waiting for the end of the applause to begin my speech.

- Good evening everyone, thank you for coming so many this evening!  You know to what extent your presence is essential to carry out the fight that we are waging.  Your presence proves your interest in this cause which is very dear to me.  My speech must have been different from what I am going to make to you this evening.  But the events of the last few months on a personal level have forced me to rewrite what I had to say to you.

I see their compassion in their eyes.  They all have in mind the photos taken by the paparazzi when I was released from the hospital.

- Today more than ever we must support each other to fight this scourge together.  I see you making faces, gentlemen!  Of course we need you too.

The assembly bursts into laughter.

- Without you victory is impossible.  We need your support and protection.
The danger for us women is everywhere, in public transport, in public places, in the street, in our workplace and even worse under our own roof, the place where we should normally feel safe.  and rejuvenate with those we love but who ultimately destroy us, annihilate us.  Some of these women, before even thinking of their own survival, must first and foremost protect their children, feeling guilty between ensuring them a home or fleeing an evil that is eating them away.
Do you know what my own experience has made me understand?  What our tormentors want is not to hurt us physically, to see our scars on our bodies or to see blood flow.  No, what makes them jubilant is our submission to their domination.  What they want is to humiliate us, to demean us deep within ourselves, to make us believe that we have no value by spitting on us their hatred and their insults.  They are wrong, we are not insignificant.  We are worth more than they want us to believe.  Our value is priceless except that of freedom and together we will win it because together we are invincible.

The audience gets up and applauds for very long minutes.  Some stamp their feet while others hiss their approval.
I look at them and the tears rise without my being able to stop them.  It's true, these women risk their lives every moment and yet they find the courage and strength to protect the loved ones they hold dear.  Me, I had nothing else to do than protect my son and I did not know how to do it.

The applause begins to fade, Thelma realizes my confusion, she questions me with a look.  I return to the present moment and regain control of my emotions with red eyes.

- You're okay ?  You should sit down and eat something, you look pale!

Helped by Thelma, I go down the steps and join our table.  The festivities resume, the dishes are linked, the organization is well oiled, between each dish a personal object that each guest has carefully chosen is auctioned.  At the end of the meal, the prize pool rises to $ 32,780,000!  The guests are involved in our fight, some of them have experienced similar ordeals to the association's proteges, in their own childhood.  These are actions that affect them personally.  Thanks to their donations a new refuge house will see the light of day.  Women abused by their spouses will be able to take refuge there confidentially without finding themselves homeless.

Now is the time for the photo shoot.  Professionals, volunteers and former victims saved by the association who have agreed to be photographed with their faces uncovered, meet for the official photo shoot.  This will make it possible to cover the headlines in order to make the National Center For Women Victims of Violence better known to our fellow citizens and especially to all these women who need to be rescued.

I observed it well, Luce never put down her camera, the flashes followed one another all evening, either her job fascinates her or the cause animates her or she takes advantage of being at a social event for nothing  miss out on the privacy of celebrities.  Deep down, I already know that the third option is not part of his human values.

I go to meet him.

- Did you enjoy the festivities?
- Yes, your speech was very eloquent!  I discovered with the rest of the country the images of your discharge from hospitalization.  I must admit that it touched me a lot.  Did this man want to steal your phone?  Has he been found?
- No, the procedure is in progress, thank you for your support.  Do you have everything you need to properly cover the event?
- I must say I was spoiled.  I did not see celebrities so generous.
- They are people like you and me, they have heart as long as the cause interests them.  Tell me, do you have an accent, you are not American, I have heard it before somewhere, are you European?
- French to be exact.
- I really like France, the people are very welcoming.
- We must believe that we have a sense of hospitality.
- Not to mention the gastronomy!
- I'm sorry to tell you, but it has nothing to compare with yours.
- I'm not offended, I understand you.  How did you come to replace Mr. Rafi Puttagio?
- I was covering the opening of an abstract art exhibition on Sunset Beach when my boss asked me if I was interested in covering a gala for violence against women, being a woman myself.  immediately felt concerned.  And you, how did you become their ambassador?
- Hmm, how do you explain it without betraying the person concerned?  I want to clarify that she is not here tonight, ok!
- Okay !
- Let's say I worked with a person whose mother was beaten and raped by her father for years and felt the need to confide in me.  Her story touched me deeply and made me understand how privileged I am.  I told myself that I could make things happen by collaborating with competent people and she told me about the association.  So, I started two years ago now.
- I find your commitment admirable.  Today it has a more personal meaning for you.
- I never thought I would fall on the other side.

Thelma begins to get impatient with this conversation, which she feels is going on for too long.  She slips discreetly into the conversation but I understand her intentions.  I do the introductions to stay correct but this is the second time that they are jealous of someone who is interested in me.  Let her be careful!  I'm not going to put up with his jealousy forever.