Chapter 57, "Truth 2"

A/N : Gonna need that picture ^.

Emily's POV

"So? Ready to talk?" I asked, joining Jace at the bar stools. I'm actually dreading all of this and it's painful to even look at him but whatever. Life goes on..

"Uh yeah, if you're ready.." he nodded.

"I've been ready," I rolled my eyes. He let out a sigh before fully turning around all the way to face me. It's weird to look at him directly but the fact that he's making eye contact shows just how serious this is. Or he is, whatever.

"How could you love me?"

"How could I not?" I shrugged. Seriously, it's not even what he does that attracts me, it's who he is. This brutal person with all these scars, hello? I think we can relate.  "Jace there's reasons I can't even explain."

"I didn't mean to be an ass about what you said, it just shocked me."

"No, it scared you. Didn't it?"

"It made me realize that I've dug you deep in a hole and I don't know how to get you out."

"I'm in no hole Jace. I don't understand you. We have our good moments and then boom you just totally ignore me. I don't even know why- you just toy with me and that's not okay."

"I know."

"I know this situation is fucked up but I can't help that I like you, I can't help that you're dangerous and yet I still feel safe. I can't help that you break my heart and I still believe you have one. I can't help any of it."

"I know, which is why I'm sorry."

"Are you?"

"Yes, I am. You've been on my mind every since that night we went out to eat Emily. You're a constant reminder of the good left in me, did you know that?"

"I don't believe that," I said honestly. If it were anybody else it wouldn't be so hard to believe but it's Jace, and how many times has he shown I'm nothing to him.

"You should, I don't say shit just to say it."

"Okay."

"I told you I cared, I do. I don't know what I want, I can't say what I want because I'm not good with admitting things or giving in to someone so easily but you- you make my heart race."

"You're seriously saying this?" I smiled.

"I don't love because I killed the love of my life, I was only 11," he sighed, looking down. It felt like my heart stopped for a second when he mentioned the age.

"Y-you- um......haven't- you haven't loved-loved since then?"

"Nope after watching her burn in that fire, I just stopped having emotions. Every since like age 6 I wanted to be dead but meeting her was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I know we were super young but it was real Emily and it broke me down seeing her go," he sighed, quickly wiping away his wet eyes.

I just realized he's opening up to me like literally. I never knew he had a heart break, I thought he was always like this but it makes sense now. And now I feel bad.

"I'm sorry," I say softly.

"It happened so fast and I couldn't save her- I just... anyways, it just hurts to care and I'm sorry for hurting you all the time," he cried, "You're everything to me Emily. When they brought you to me I was so fucking lost for words but I ended up breaking you when I held you in that dark room for 3 days, I just- it hurt a lot and from that moment on I knew I wanted to protect you at all costs. I hate to see you hurt especially hence I'm the cause."