Chapter 23, "It'll be okay"

I opened my eyes staring out at an open view. I looked over to see I was in the bed alone. I felt a bit numb and my eyelids were heavy. Every thought was in high definition but I quickly shut it down as I got out to the bed.

I didn't know my way around Chris's house but I eventually made it to the living room where I found him awake on the couch with blankets a pillow.

"Hey," I said barely mumbled.

"Hey, how are you feeling?"

I nodded my head. 

"You want some breakfast, I can order you something.." he offered.

"I'm okay. Thanks."

"Does anything hurt?"

Besides my head and my heart... not really but it's fine.

"Not really," I sighed. "Why aren't you at work?"

"I didn't want to leave you."

"You could've woke me up and kicked me to the curb," I joked.

"I would never do that," he grinned. "How'd you sleep?"

"Good, very good," I said truthfully.

"Good."

"What about you?" I asked, looking at the couch.

"I slept good honestly," he lied.

"I'm sorry for taking your bed."

"It's fine... I just didn't know if you were going to be okay with waking up next to me...or if you thought that I'd be weird.. I don't know.." he shrugged.

"I would've been okay with it and thank you for being respectful," I smiled.

"Of course."

"So you aren't going in for work today?" I asked.

"Work is the farthest thing from my mind. They'll be okay. What do you need?"

"A shower maybe, I want to wash off everything from last night."

"There's plenty of bathrooms so just choose one."

"I'll stick with yours."

He let out a little laugh before getting up to show me the way. I followed him back into his bedroom and into his bathroom.

The bathroom was about the size of my whole dorm room.

He got out a couple towels and soaps for me to use along with a speaker for me to play music.

"You're welcome to wear anything in my closet," he pointed.

"Okay," I nodded. He turned on the shower before leaving and closing the bathroom door. I turned on my phone revealing tons of messages.

Chase: Emily what happened?
Chase: Are you okay? I don't believe them. I want to hear from you.
Jake: Not coming home huh?
Nicole: How could you?
Mark: Liar!
Chase: I'm sorry Emily..
Chase: Please let me know you're okay.
Chase: Emily??
Jake: Where are you?

I replied to Jake letting him know I was fine. I told him I needed time to myself and that I'd keep him updated. I avoided telling him the events of last night because that's something that should be discussed in person instead of over text.

I started up my playlist, stepping in the shower. The music and the hot water made me feel about 5x better. I finally let my hair down and let the water run through it.

When I was all done I got out, wrapping the towel around me. I turned off the speaker and headed towards Chris's closet.

I found a pair of boxers tucked away that looked way to small for him but they fit me perfectly. I also put on one of his light navy blue dress shirts that covered most of my upper thighs.

I dried my hair out some more before walking back into the living room.

"I feel better," I smiled earning a small laugh from Chris.

"That's nice," he grinned.

I took a seat next to him on the couch. He had the tv on watching, Avengers: Infinity War.

"Is there anything you want to do today?" he asked.

"Relax and just forget about my life.," I sighed.

"Okay..."

"Want to start off my giving me a tour of the place?"

"Gladly," he grinned.

I followed him around the gigantic mansion as he showed me every room and what it's used for. This man had a home gym, a art studio, a couple offices, too many bedrooms along with bathrooms and about two living rooms.

We stayed in his art studio and had a little painting contest. He was a really good artist in my opinion but he wouldn't admit it. He had a way of painting the ugly into something beautiful and that just made my heart melt.

When we were done touring the house, we started eating and binging the Marvel series.. I knew Chris was getting annoyed because I asked him a question like every five minutes but he never complained.

The sun set and faded away without us even noticing. We'd binged the day away and we only got through about 4 or 5 movies.

"Yeah I don't like Captain America," I said, shaking my head.

"Whatttttt" Chris screamed.

"The shield isn't cutting it for me," I laughed.

"Emily what is wrong with you, this man is fucking great."

"I'm just not seeing it," I shrugged.

Chris threw his head back in frustration causing me to laugh. This whole day he's been trying to get me to like Captain America and I just can't.

"Fine, it's over," he said, turning off the tv.

"Chris don't be like that," I snickered.

"It's fine," he said, wiping away at his eyes. I let out a laugh as he pretended to cry.

"That's hilarious," I continued to giggle.

"I don't want to talk about it anymore," he said, raising his hand.

I fell back unable to contain my laugh. Seeing Chris obsess over this man was literally the funniest shit ever.

"Emily....." he said softly, touching my leg. I raised back up in confusion.

My eyes went to where his hand was and it was my thigh where Mark left bruises when he held me down.

"Um.." I said, scooting away and pulling my knees to my chest.

"Emily what happened?"

"Nothing," I lied.

He scooted over towards me, resting his hand on my back.

"You can tell me."

I looked over into his sparkly grey eyes. I wanted to tell him, I just didn't want him not to believe me but this is Chris.. he'd believe me right.

"Before the accident... I was at my umm.... my.. Chase's house and he left, so.. um.. his friend tried to.. and I told him to stop... and I yelled....but they didn't believe me.." I stammered, trying to stop my tears.

"He didn't.. did he?"

"No... but he was close.. so close Chris and I couldn't stop it," I cried. "I thought they were my friends."

I watched as his grey eyes beamed with what I think was anger or sincerity or maybe both.

He wiped away my tears, pulling me closer to his chest. I rested my eyes as he held me tightly.

"That'll never happen again Emily, I swear," he sighed.

"How do you know?" I whispered.

"I can't say I'll protect you from this world but I'll try," he promised.

I nodded my head. For some reason, I wasn't afraid in his arms, I felt safe. Maybe we were always meant to meet. All I know is I feel it, like it's the realest thing I mean it.

"It'll be okay," he whispered, resting his chin on the top of my head.