Chapter 54, "Truth 1"

Jace's POV

Two days later......

I've been debating all morning whether to talk to Emily about the other day or not. I don't regret what I said, the problem is, it was the truth. She is what's wrong with me. She's changing me bro....

After fastening my belt on my jeans, I slung my shirt over my shoulder and walked to her room. In the shower I kept thinking about how she must feel since I'm always confusing her and she's already been through enough so I don't want to cause her any more unnecessary pain and confusion..

Even though she's living with me against her will.

"Hey," I exhaled walking into her room without invitation. Hell it's my house..

"Hey, what's up?"

"Nothing, I was just checking on you. How are you feeling?"

"How am I feeling?" she laughed lightly, "Well I feel better, thanks."

"Nice," I nodded. This is more awkward than I thought it'd be and I'm not here for the beating around the bush so let's get straight to it.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I sighed.

"Do you?"

"Yeah, we should- I guess- I mean if you want," I practically stammered.

"Okay," she shrugged, sitting on the edge of the bed. I took a seat next to her and rubbed down my thighs, taking a breath.

"I know I confuse you a lot and that's not what I want to do. But it happens and it'll keep happening. I meant what I said though. You are what's wrong with me..."

"How?"

"Well, it's hard to explain."

"We kissed.....you kissed me, I think I'm owed an explanation."

"Don't make me mad about it now," I said, rolling my eyes.

"I know you don't want to express how you truly feel but it will clear up some of my confusion," she smiled knowingly.

I rolled my eyes again because she's about to get her way and she knows it. I shouldn't be saying this but if all goes wrong, then it won't even come as a surprise. I'm used to not being loved, c'mon I'm a murderer, a fucking mafia leader. I'm the boss, we don't have feelings so I don't know what this is....

"When I'm around you my mind is at ease more and I forget who I really am. When I first met you, I was going to keep you away from all this. I obviously can't do that now and I feel bad so I try to be as calm as I can and less violent. I know I'm a bad person but the look on your face when I do something bad taunts me. Yes I care."

"I-... I don't know what to say."

"Understandable. I know you say you don't hate me but you should Emily. I'll never change. Sometimes I think I can but that feeling is only temporary..."

"I care about you too Jace," she sighed, "I realized that the day you left and never came back. You disappeared and you left me confused......now I know why and I still care. You've killed like 10 people in front of me, you've threatened to kill me, you've threatened to kill people I care about, you've tortured me but through it all, you've taken care of me.. I don't know what you think all the time but I know you try to keep me safe Jace...."

Damn, I really am a bad person..

"Yeah, protecting you is my top priority now. I hate to see you hurt even though I'm the one who hurts you all the time....."

"That's your job," she shrugged.

"Yeah, but you meaning something to me was never apart of the job..."