chapter 172: "i dont approve"

Start from the beginning

"you WHAT?!" mina screams as you recount everything that occurred on your impromptu vacation. "what would you have done? died with all those people?!" you argue, "what you did was illegal!" she retorts, "oh no! i saved lives! arrest me!" you defend, "both of you be quiet. (y/n) made the call that we all would have. while it was illegal, it was for the good of others. for instance: climbing a privately owned building, therefore trespassing, so stop someone from committing suicide, or accidentally falling." momo explains. "thats good and all, but can we just focus on the fact that on a whim, (y/n) flew kyoka to london to see her dad." tooru points out. "it was for her own good. and besides, i dont want to talk about the trip anymore. its just reminding me that i need to have a rough conversation with her." you tell the girls. "how so?" ochako asks, "her mom is pissed. she doesnt know i had people here bail me out, so as far as she knows im spending the next ten years in prison for a crime i actually committed. she said to stay away from her and kyoka, so im not sure what im going to say. i obviously cant avoid kyoka for very long, so what do i tell her? that her mom is a bitch and we cant date? should i just pretend it didnt happen?" you start to weigh your options, however tsuyu quickly cuts you off. "just explain everything to her. im sure her mom was having an emotional day. her husband may have died an hour before you talked to her. just tell kyoka the facts, then let her decide what to do." "i know, i just...i dont want to lose her." you admit. "you wont. just go talk to her." mina urges. "fine."

within the next two hours, you are able to meet with kyoka in her room. "hey, whats up?" she asks as you enter, "i hate to say it, but we need to have a serious talk about our relationship." you say, "okay..." kyoka sits up on her bed, and removes her earbuds. "for the moment at least, your mother wants me dead. after you left, she confronted me and said that i shouldnt have used my quirk. that it made too many people hurt more than a quick death would have. she said to stay away from both her and you for the foreseeable future." you explain, "well im going to call her and talk to her, but what do you think about it? do you agree with her?" kyoka asks hesitantly, "not really. every life is worth it." you answer. "alright, well im going to call her. i love you." kyoka says, "love you too." you reply while leaving the room.

about three days of absolute silence later, kyoka starts banging at the door. as you open it, she appears somewhat irritated. "whats wrong?" you ask her, "my mom is coming over in ten minutes, she is intent on talking to both of us." she explains, "alright, do you want to let everyone else know, or just let them be surprised?" you ask, "just let it play out naturally, if i told them then they would just act more suspicious." she answers. "fair enough. im gonna get dressed, see you in a few?" you ask, "see you then." she says before leaving.

after ten minutes the two of you reconvene in the common room. "hey guys! are you going somewhere, why are you dressed nice?" mina asks, "uh, no these are just comfortable." kyoka lie while looking down at her leather jacket. "right..." mina doubts. after a minute or two of waiting, you hear tenya open the door. "can i help you?" he asks politely, "yes, if kyoka here? im her mother." mika responds, "yes, i believe she is. come in, come in! ochako could you go get her?"
ochako runs in and immediately sees you and kyoka. "oh, shes right here!" she calls back. tenya and mika follow soon after. "do you want us to leave you guys alone?" izuku asks, gesturing to several of your other classmates. "no, your fine." she says before sitting across from you and kyoka. "take your arm off her please." she asks. you remove your arm from around kyokas shoulders and put both your hands in your lap. you notice your other classmates holding their breathes out of anticipation and worry. "so what did you want to talk about, mom?" kyoka asks, "first of all i want to apologize to both of you. they way i acted was not okay, but i need you to understand the stress i was under. kyotoku had died twenty minutes before you talked to me, and i was having a bit of a mental breakdown." mika explains. before you can respond, momo chimes in, "im sorry to be rude, but even if you were under duress, that doesnt excuse anything you might have said. i dont know what happened between you three, and i honestly dont want to know. but when someone is angry or stressed, they remove their minds inhibitors, so what you said is exactly what you thought." she argues, "stay out of it please, momo. what she said wasnt incorrect, objectively. but i personally have very strong morals, which dont include letting bystanders die because it will hurt them less emotionally. each and every life i can save is worth any amount of pain on my end or theirs." you explain. "i understand that, and i know my daughter feels the same way. your a great hero, nothing can dissuade me from that fact, but at this point thats all i have seen from you. i know i cant really make kyoka stop dating you, nor would she even listen to me. but for now, i just want you to know that i personally dont approve." mika then abruptly walks out of the dorms.

"sorry." momo apologizes, "your fine, it isnt your fault." kyoka says, "no, its mine. i understand where she is coming from, and promise to fix it." you say, "she is just upset (y/n), you did nothing wrong." kyoka says, putting her hand on your shoulder. "that just isnt true. in the whole time we have been together, we went on less than ten dates. for two and a half years, thats unacceptable." you apologize, "(y/n) we live together, go to school together every day, train together, and hang out here all the time. its fine." kyoka insists, "your really fine (y/n). you and kyoka have had less fights than any of us, have more trust, and are practically inseparable." mina adds. "i still need to be better. how about this, i know it wont make up for anything, but this weekend why dont we go somewhere? your choice." you offer, "sure. maybe dinner and the park?" kyoka asks, "whatever you want, on me."