Chapter 25: 𝑴𝒊𝒅𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝑫𝒓𝒊𝒗𝒆

☠︎︎Hunter's POV ☠︎︎

I jolted up from my bed, my heart racing and my breath coming in rapid gasps. Sweat rolled down my face, and my forehead felt damp with perspiration. The nightmare had been intense and vivid, leaving me disoriented and unsettled.

"Shit," I whispered under my breath, my voice barely audible in the stillness of the room. I ran a hand through my hair, trying to steady myself and shake off the remnants of the dream.

Just as I started to regain my composure, my phone started ringing, causing me to flinch. I reached for it, my hand trembling slightly, and checked the caller ID. The number wasn't registered in my phone, which raised my curiosity and caution. Still, I decided to answer the call.

"Hello?" I said, my voice a little shaky.

"Uh, Mr. Craver?, I'm Inspector Deleon. Sorry if I woke you up," a voice on the other end of the line explained.

My mind raced to make the connection. Inspector Deleon... It took me a moment to recall that name. Steve had mentioned him before.

"What do you want?"

"The Deputy Chief gave me your line," he continued. "I apologize for the late hour,i-"

"Get to the point" I replied, my voice steadier now. "Why did you call?"

"There is a girl here, and she claims she saw you killing Mr. Robert Alitui," he stated.

"Who"I asked genuinely confused.

"The college student who was thrown off the roof at..." he explained further. He abruptly stopped when I sighed.

"And why are you calling me for that? Couldn't you handle it on your own?" I asked, my irritation seeping into my voice.

"Sir, I wanted to, but Mr. Steve suggested I run it by you first," he quickly explained.

I took a deep breath, There was no use dwelling on my frustration; I needed to address the situation at hand.

Steve was the Deputy Chief of Police at the time, serving as my eyes and ears within the police force. He was someone Zack and I had cultivated a relationship with over the years. Our connection was built on mutual benefits and a shared understanding .

Zack never quite warmed up to him though. There was an underlying tension between them that I couldn't quite comprehend.

Whenever I asked Zack about his animosity towards Steve, he would either change the subject abruptly or simply walk out of the room, leaving me with unanswered questions. It was a mystery that lingered in the background, a fragile thread of unease that added an extra layer of complexity to our dynamic.

Despite their differences, Steve had come around and agreed to assist us on certain conditions. He provided us with valuable information and support, ensuring that we stayed one step ahead of any unwanted attention. And in turn, we'd help him in anything he wanted from helping him get a promotion to taking out trash the police were to scared to do themselves.

"Send me your location. I'm on my way," I ordered, my voice firm and determined.

"Sir, that's not necessary. We can take care of her for you. No need to get your hands dirty. Mr. Steve just insisted we tell you out of formality. Just say the word, and I'll silence her personally," he stated, his voice laced with a hint of fear.