"Do you realize what you've done?"

"Who would have known, Fa- I mean, Mr. Higgs. Sorry... but it's just-"

"It's not "just", Edgar. You're a child, not an adult. How could you possibly believe that you know more about this situation and what is involved with it than the two people who are involved, hmm?"

"Well... I... They say sometimes things need a push."

"A push, not a bloody punch to the face!" Edgar winced and Higgs paced in front of him, a tail appearing with every agitation. "I need you to listen to me carefully, Edgar, because this is going to be the last time that I will tell you this: straighten up. I know you don't like Lady Hinkley and I know you're upset about what's happened, but you were meddling in something that was going fine. I was almost going to nonchalantly tell Merida to court me, did you know that?"

"What's stopping you now?" he asked in genuine interest.

Higgs stopped walking and turned to Edgar with a glare.

"Knowing. The whole game was the curiosity, the mystery, the hope. That little bit of uncertainty would have made that possible... but you stuck your big fat nose into what was none of your business and ruined it. The love has to be natural and if you had just waited, things would have been fine."

"That doesn't make any sense!" Edgar yelled, standing up.

"It doesn't need to make sense for you!" Higgs snarled, turning on Edgar with tails raised and eyes glowing, teeth sharp. Edgar fell back into the chair. "No one asked you." He hissed.

"But... if you know then I don't understand why-"

"Damn it, Edgar, I've said my peace on the matter. You are not a part of my family enough to understand what we go through; the lengths and convoluted loopholes we have to jump through to maybe (hopefully) find the right combination of emotions and love to satisfy this god forsaken curse! It's not as easy as it would make you perceive it to be. It's not myth, it's not legend, and it's not fairytales. This is my life, Edgar."

Edgar tried not to let his emotions get in the way as tears still stung his eyes. He clenched his fists.

"I know that I'm not a part of your family but you've always been a part of mine. I'm sorry that I ruined everything but I was just trying to help. I'll remember next time that it's for exclusive family members only."

He got up and stopped off as Higgs looked at the floor, realizing what he had said.

"Shite."

****************

Merida was mixing batter for cake when she saw Edgar storm by the entrance to the kitchen and the front door slammed closed. Merida looked at Marlow, who was washing the dishes.

"Marlow, I'm going to go and check on Edgar."

"Of course, miss."

"If I'm not back in a few minutes, please continue with the cake."

"Yes, ma'am."

Merida followed Edgar out the front door and saw him going to the stables. When he got there, he grabbed a bridle and headed to a horse when Ailers popped up out of nowhere, scaring him.

"Ailers... What are you doing here?"

"Mucking about."

Edgar looked over the stall wall and saw that he was indeed, mucking.

"I see."

"Riding at night?" he asked.

"Yes. Is this one okay?"