Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Right Thing

*Y/N's POV*

    "Ms. Lestrange?" I heard Professor McGonagall's voice, I looked up to see her angered eyes turn soft at the sight of my teary-eyed face, "W-What's happened? Are you alright?" she helped me to my feet.

      I couldn't help but sob into her chest, "I'm sorry, Professor."

     "Shh, shh, that's alright," she caressed the back of my head, "Come on now, let's go to my office and get you a nice cup of tea, that sound alright?" I nodded hesitantly as she led the both of us to her office.

   "Here, sit right here, dear," she placed me down gently into one of the chairs on the other side of her desk, "Let me get started on that tea," she smiled, all it took was a quick flick of her wand for a pot of warm tea and some teacups to appear on her desk, "Here you are," she handed me the lovely smelling cup, "Biscuit?" she offered, holding out a plate of rather delicious looking cookies but I didn't think I could keep them down at this point.

     "No, thank you, Professor" my voice shook as I sipped the tea, the warmth soothing my nearly raw throat.

     "Where were you off to in such a hurry, Miss Lestrange?" she asked gently as she set the plate back down, "And why the tears?"

     "It's nothing," I muttered, "I'm alright."

     "Ms. Lestrange," she took a deep breath, "I know what happened today. And I know that Mr. Weasley went to go speak to you about it. Am I correct?" I nodded rather reluctantly, "Ah, I see. And I take it, that didn't go too well?"

     "No ma'am," I shook my head, "We, well, we got into a bit of an argument, you see."

     "And Mr. Weasley, he didn't hurt you, did he?"

     "Merlin, no," I sighed, chuckling uneasily, "If anything, I hurt him," my fingers fiddled with the locket that I had remembered I was wearing.

     Professor McGonagall sighed heavily once again before smiling softly, "A Christmas present from him, I take it?"

     "Yeah," my voice shook as the tears brimmed in my eyes once again as I shakily opened the locket, presenting the picture to her, "It's from our first date."

     "Very lovely," she nodded, "You two make quite the pair."

     "Made," I corrected her.

     Her brows furrowed, "I'm sorry? What do you mean made?" 

    "I ended it. It's over," my lip quivered as I snapped the locket shut.

     "I see," she huffed, "May I ask why?" 

    "It was foolish in the first place. A Weasley and a Lestrange, what a load of rubbish, right?" her furrowed brows deepened, "I wanted to do right by him." 

   "And you thought that separating was the way to go?" she didn't even attempt to hide her passive-aggressive tone. 

   "I can't let him involve himself with me any further, with my family. They're monsters. We're monsters." 

   "Ms. Lestrange," her soft withered hand fell on top of mine, "You are not a monster," I scoffed, attempting to move from her, her hand pulling me back, "You are an exquisite young witch and you are capable of so much more than you truly know." 

   "Capable of torturing innocents, like my parents. I mean, they're the reason one of my friends hasn't got a mum and dad. Neville had to be raised by his grandmother because of something my parents did!"