"I will never judge ye again, Ma. I'll listen to ye from here on." He said to himself.

He'd figure out a way to make it right.

+***************************************

Higgs woke up with an excruciating headache and a feeling of deep dread within his heart. In his drunken frenzy, he remembered revealing his true feelings to Merida. He also remembered her true words about his own self: even if he wanted to, he could never let that one important part of his heart belong to her. He was so enraged! He growled angrily and pounded the sheets, setting them on fire with his foxfire. He let them burn for a moment until he realized they were the sheets and he quickly put the fire out, but he was still angry. His anger over his true inability to go after the one he loved is what led to the drinking the first time, so he tried to calm down as best he could. It was his own damned fault for not manning up and getting over his childhood traumas... but it wasn't easy. If he calmed down anymore, he would end up sobbing. Neither were good for his hangover and he tried to figure out which would be better.

There was a light knock on the door and it opened before Higgs could say anything. It was Ailers. The young man came in and set something down on the bedside table.

"Cake." He said, motioning for Higgs to eat it.

He left abruptly and Higgs chuckled at the young man's abruptness. He got up slowly, trying not to jar his body and walked heavily to the large piece of cake that was on the tray. It was a cream cake, simple and delicious.

"Be nice if I had a spot of milk."

The door opened again and Ailers leaned in, holding out a bottle of milk. Higgs took it in surprise as Ailers gave a weird bow and shut the door.

"How does he do that?" Higgs asked, shaking his head at the boy's ability to determine his needs.

He took the bottle of milk with him to the balcony, opening the doors. The wind was blowing pretty fiercely and he lifted his nose to the sky, smelling rain coming. He sat on the edge of the balcony and sighed as he dug into his cake. It was a gloomy day that matched his gloomy mood.

"What a day." He said with a sigh as he dug into his breakfast.

**************************************

Edgar covered Merida as she slept off her drunken state in the destroyed living room. He took the sake cup from her hand and sniffed the inside of it. It smelled strange and he wanted to taste it, but Merida had drank the whole thing in the night. He didn't know what it consisted of, but when Higgs was a kitsune, he would get into moods and want to have the drink. They could only get it from the Oriental man at the market and it cost a pretty penny. Merida would drink it with Higgs since she wasn't afraid to try any type of alcohol but Higgs said it was too strong for Edgar to try.

As he began to sweep up some of the mess, Ailers walked by.

"Ailers." He stopped. "Did you do what I asked?"

"Yes."

"How was he?"

"Up."

They stared at each other for a moment and Ailers just walked away. Edgar sighed, knowing he should have just gone and checked on Higgs himself. He continued sweeping up the broken vase and then took the sake container and cup to the kitchen to have Marlow clean them. He threw the trash away and decided to head upstairs.

Higgs finished the cake and drank the last of the milk, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. There was a tentative knock at the door and Higgs froze. I can't speak to her... not this soon...