"That-" He rolled over to keep his face from hers. "That is irrelevant and I was just making a point."

Merida chuckled. "No shame in-"

"I'm up now. Thank you, Merida." He said, sliding out of the bed and onto the floor.

His tails billowed around him as he stretched and then scratched behind his ears. He then made a noise and all the tails and his ears seemed to poof away as his normal body shook off the strain. Merida watched him from the bed and he wiped himself down to straighten out his clothes.

"Those tails are so annoying..."

"I kind of like them."

"You like them because they're fluffy." He said with a grin.

"Fluffy is good. At least now ye could probably attend a ball of some sort?"

"I do believe my sister would be pleased. I wonder if everyone else is on a more human level. If we don't do something this month, we'll have another person to have to try and get in the mix and I don't think Fuchsia and Cat can wait that long."

"Aye, I ken ye."

"I do apologize about coming in here. I feel like I'm causing you problems."

"Not at all, Mr. Higgs. It's kind of become a normal thing now. I usually expect ye."

"Everyone thinks we're courting and if someone had walked in here they would have really thought something else."

"Maybe we should just oblige them so they'll stop messing with us." Merida said with a laugh as she leaned on her knee.

Higgs watched his maid for a moment, thinking he felt something in the sentence that was a hidden message. He turned his head at her but then dismissed it. She was known for her straightforward thinking. If she had something to say, she'd say it.

"If we do that then they'll just ask when we're getting married."

"They do that now."

"Well, even more so."

"Would that be so bad?"

"If we're just doing it for other people, then yes. I'd rather the woman I strut around to the ton be my woman of choice, not a woman of convenience."

Merida smiled a little. "Ah, I ken ye."

"That was not meant to be offensive at all... Merida, do you want me to court you?"

"Whatever makes ye think a thing like that?"

"It's just... ever since the end of that first year, I feel like you've been holding something back from me. You make comments that seem superficial and yet I still get the sense that you're being serious."

"An I was serious, what would ye do?"

"I'd ask why you never said anything..."

"Ye've made yerself quite clear that I am a maid and nothing more. An there was something there, why would I try to pursue it when ye dinnae feel the same? Seems like a crapshoot to me."

Higgs walked over to her and put his hands on her shoulders, looking her in the eyes.

"Merida. Answer me honestly: do you have feelings for me?"

"No. I don't." she said, looking him in the eyes.

Higgs sighed and went to the door. "Alright then... I'll go and see Fuchsia and see what is of Father. Perhaps we could have that engagement party now."