"She announced her and Boston's engagement about a month ago so it will be a moment before she's got herself prepared." Merida said.

"When are you two getting married?"

"Hah?" Higgs asked in shock.

"We arenae getting married, Laird Kans." Merida said with a nervous laugh.

Kans looked between them and sniffed a little at the atmosphere, sensing something amiss. Catherine elbowing him in the ribs.

"Ye stop that now." She grumbled.

"I'm just... sniffing..."

Merida made a face at him as he lifted an eyebrow at her. Higgs also made a face and crossed his arms.

"Don't give us that look."

"What look? Just thought it was obvious by now..."

"What is obvious?"

Merida glared at Kannasett and he cleared his throat.

"Ah... well... my mistake."

"I am missing something presumably very obvious, aren't I?" Higgs asked, looking between his maid and his uncle.

"Ye dinnae worry about it. Come on, let's get some breakfast."

"But-"

"Come along, laddie." Merida said, grabbing his arm and pulling him. "No use trying to ken what ye dinnae ken."

Higgs tried to protest as Kans and Catherine stood in the doorway. Once the two were gone, Catherine turned to Kans and swatted his hairy arm.

"Oooh, ya almost revealed somethin' ya shouldn't!"

"How was I supposed to know? And I thought I was dense."

"Ya were. That's how dense ya was."

"No wonder everyone thought I was dumb..."

"Ya aren't dumb, it's jest that love is blind in all sorts o' ways."

"Well what are we going to do?"

"Do?" Catherine asked in confusion.

"Yeah."

"Do about what?"

"Them... together..."

"We'll do nothin', ya hear? If Merida wanted to say somethin' about it then she would. There's probably a good reason she's not sayin' anythin'. Ya best not cause a tizzy now."

"Fine, fine... but I just don't want him to end up like me... You were right in front of me and I still missed you."

Catherine put her arms around Kans' torso through the blanket and looked up at him.

"I'm here now and aye, it may hurt to see what they can't -or rather what Higgs can't- see, but we have to let them find each other or it won't work. Forcin' them to love will be more bad than good, yeah?"

"I guess so... It's still a shame though. Merida-"

Catherine shook her head as Kans turned around to find Edgar on the stairs. He didn't say anything but just passed them both as he went to the kitchen. They watched him leave and Kans made a face.

"I didn't smell him at all... do you think he heard us?"

"Aye, he heard everythin'."

"Did you know he was there?"

"No, I saw him when we turned but he's not a wee lad anymore. He mayhap no have heard all of the conversation but he heard enough of it I'm sure."