"How long would you say Brad has been having the pain?" The blond asked.

"Off and on for months..." The mother told her.

"Brad, is the pain constant or is it worse at times, better at others...?" The attending questioned.

"It's usually worse in the mornings, right after breakfast." The preteen spoke up.

"Which, I might point out, is when he has to go to school." The father scoffed, Helena furrowing her brows slightly.

"But I feel it at other times too." The kid explained.

"Right. When you have a Spanish test or a history presentation..." The father accused.

"Well, stress can exacerbate abdominal pain..." Helena gave the man a slight smile and a nod.

"Please, Doctor, don't encourage him. He's just faking it so he can miss school." The man requested.

"I am not!" The boy told him, clearly offended.

"Abdomen is soft, non tender, non rigid and the bowel sounds are good." Helena informed her attending as she finished palpating the abdomen.

"Still, I'd like to cover all the basis." Arizona told her. "Dr. Campos, how would you proceed?"

"I'd go for a triple contrast CT." Helena suggested, taking of her gloves.

"We'll do it." The attending nodded in agreement.

"Brad, this is gonna cost us thousands of dollars, and insurance only covers part of it. You know that, right?" The father asked, the boy's mother shaking her head in disagreement.

"I'm not faking it!" The boy let out. "I'm not faking it, dad, I swear."

——

"What about that spot?" Helena asked as she stared at a seemingly normal CT.

"It's just lint..." Arizona found out, a she ran her finger through it.

"It doesn't make sense... why would he complain of pain this often if there's nothing wrong? I mean, I'd get doing l once to miss class, but this often, especially with his dad... it doesn't make sense." Helena muttered to herself.

"I loved the hospital when I was a kid. No school, lots of medical supplies to play with..." Arizona smiled, almost excited at the memories.

"I know, I used to beg my dad to take me with him. I remember sometimes he'd pick me up after school and I'd hang around in an empty office doing my homework or drawing." Helena smiled back, reminiscing. "Then he'd give me some money to go to the cafeteria between consults and I'd get a cookie and bring him a snack too." She shook her head, almost snapping out of it. "This just doesn't make sense."

"Let's go over I again." Arizona asked, Helena nodding.

"Alright, he presented with severe but intermittent abdominal pain, no discernible pattern."

"Labs are normal. No fever. Fist abdomen on exam." The blond added, Helena closing her eyes as she thought.

"We're missing something." She whispered to herself, her eyes snapping open once she came up with a suggestion. "I know this is rare on kids, but what about chronic mesenteric ischemia?"

Arizona nodded, agreeing with the possible. "It is a stretch for a kid, but if he had vascular problems..."

"It'd fit all the symptoms and it doesn't show up on the scans." The brunette nodded, her eyes shining at her idea.