Chapter 11

Niall's POV

*Three years ago*

"Cheers!" I yell out as our glasses clink, the sound of laughter and music in the distant background as we enjoy this night out.

I take a sip of my beer and look around, taking in the atmosphere that surrounds us.

There's some people who are enjoying dinner with their friends, others who are sitting by themselves at the bar, hoping to get acquainted with a stranger tonight, and then there are people here, like ourselves, who are having a night out with their best mates.

"Happy fucking birthday Ni," Harry says, putting his drink down to slide his arm around my shoulders, "another year closer to 30." He teases.

Don't fucking remind me, turning 25 is already scary enough.

I punch him in the arm and give him a murderous glare, "fuck you Harry, I'm only a year older than you."

He lets out a loud laugh, his eyes crinkling in the corner and his dimples on full display.

"Look around, do you see anyone special to take home for the night?" He asks me, leaning into my shoulder to nudge it. "After all, you are the birthday boy."

I shake my head at him and look around for the one person that was still missing. "Nah," I tell him, "I think I'll just spend it with you two shitheads this year. Like you so kindly reminded me, I'm almost 30 so clearly I'm too old to be doing that." I laugh.

Harry notices my wandering gaze and pulls out his phone to check the time. "Where the fuck is he? I'm gonna be drunk as fuck by the time he finally gets his ass here."

I can't help but let out a light breath of laughter, agreeing with him.

That man is always so late to everything.

Even though the night has only just started, I got a head start on my drinking before I got here. Who was I to turn down a few birthday shots with my pops? No way in hell was I passing that up.

I can feel the effects of my alcohol consumption slowly start to sink in. Harry's only had one beer so I make it my personal mission to get him up to speed.

I order drinks for the two of us and as we wait for the final member of our trio to arrive, Harry and I keep the drinks coming. I couldn't tell you how many glasses of beer we've consumed during these last 30 minutes.

Probably too many but oh well, it's my fucking birthday.

After what feels like forever, I finally see him walk through the door, there's no way I could miss that bright blue hair of his.

He's a walking highlighter.

I stand up from my seat and yell out to catch his attention, "mate, over here!"

He turns his head towards the sound of my voice and glances over at Harry and I, a smile takes over his face and his eyes shine bright in the dimly lit bar.

My birthday wouldn't be complete if we weren't all together, the troublesome trio.

The three of us have been glued to each other for as long as I can remember. You usually would never catch one of us without the other two, we pretty much do everything together, we're brothers.

They've been there with me through everything. When my parents divorced, when my dog died, when I failed my personal trainer qualification exams...they were there for me through it all.