24

It had been a week since Bella's birthday incident, as we called it and neither of us had seen any of the Cullens. I was starting to get worried, Carlisle hadn't been at work all week, and if he had then he was avoiding me. Samantha weighs a baby next to me and sighs, "I'm bored, lets go to Seattle and get drunk after our shift, we've hardly spent any time together" She says, placing the baby back in its plastic crib. I write down the measurements for the baby I was weighing and place it down gently. "You know what. That sounds great" I say, wrapping an arm around her, she smiles and blows me a kiss before disappearing off who knows where. My smile drops when she leaves and I pull out my phone. I had only called Carlisle twice in the last week, but each time it had went to voicemail. I figured that if he wanted to he could talk to me, but I was getting tired of the silent treatment. I make sure my caller ID is off before soaking his number. He answers on the second ring. "Carlisle speaking" I frown, he sounder tired and withdrawn. "Good to know you aren't dead" I say sarcastically "Marissa wai-" I ignore what he says, "No its alright I get it" I say, sarcasm still lacing my voice and hang up, slipping the phone back into my pocket. It was obvious that he had been avoiding my calls as well as me, and it seriously confused me, and I didn't like being confused. I make my way to my next appointment and the day seems to go on forever.

I groan softly when Samantha knocks on my office door. "Let's go party Baby!" She says, grabbing my hand and practically dragging me out of the hospital. I text Sue, asking if she could keep Nicky overnight. She replies with an affirmative and Samantha pulls me towards My jeep. "I have to borrow some of your clothes" She says, as I pull out of the parking lot. I nod my head steering past other cars. It was six o'clock and it was already starting to get dark. I pull up outside my house, and Samantha and I go in quickly, and get changed into more club appropriate outfits. Samantha grins and turns her back to me "Can you see my Ass in this?" She asks, I grin at my slightly over weight best friend, "What Ass?" I say, turning to check myself out in the mirror, "Can you see my Ass in this?" I ask, with a grin, She looks over me "It's huge" She says, smacking my Ass before pulling me out of the room. I laugh as she tugs me downstairs, I grin at my ability to walk in heels, part and parcel of Gymnastics, awesome balance. She pulls open the door and sighs "Let's go to PA instead. Seattle is too far away" She says, climbing into the passenger seat. I nod again and steer the car away from my house and out of Forks.

Does your mother know, from mamma Mia plays on the radio and Samantha turns it up, "You're so hot. Teasing me, so you're blue but I can't take a chance on a kid like you!" I laugh as she sings the rest of the first verse overdramatically, "We'll I can dance with you honey, if you think it's funny, does your mother know that you're out! And I can chat with you baby, flirt a little maybe, does your mother know that your out!" I join in for the main part, shimmying in my seat. She laughs and switches the station, she had a bad habit of that, she would listen to one song for like a minute before growing tired of it and changing it. I stop the car in a parking lot behind the nearest bar, and we get out of the car and enter the loud building. We shove past people that are already drunk and order a whiskey each. I clink my glass with hers and throw the liquid back. She orders another two shots and then pulls me onto the dancefloor. "I love this song" she says, as Save tonight blares through the speakers. I dance with her, closing my eyes and enjoying the warmth in my stomach and the music blaring in my ears. I could feel a buzz starting when my phone starts to vibrate, I pull it out and answer without looking at the caller. "Marissa? Have you seen Bella?" The desperation in my fathers voice is like having a bucket of ice water thrown over my head, sobering me up instantly, an icy chill settles in my stomach "No. I'll be there soon" I say, ending the call, "Sammy, I have to go" I say, she nods, and goes back to grinding against a guy who looks like he's just won the lottery. I make my way to my jeep, and climb in before tearing out of the car park and driving back towards forks.

I screech to a halt outside Dad's house and climb out of the car, I could see Harry and Billy near a table with Dad, I run towards them, "What's going on?" I ask, The worry on Dads face makes me feel sick, "Try calling the Cullen's again" Dad tells Jacob. Billy sets his hand on Dads arm, "The Cullens left, Charlie" He says, My eyes widen and the air escapes my lungs, "They what?" I ask, my voice coming out as a croak, Harry smiles sympathetically and fire bubbles in my gut, he didn't even bother saying goodbye. Sam turns up and Billy nods at him, and he starts towards the woods. "Hold on Sam. I'm coming with" I say, Sam looks towards Billy who nods and I jog to catch up, forgetting about my heels. We walk deeper into the woods and he stops, I frown then turn my back "Don't worry. I won't look" I say, I hear him shift behind me and turn around to see a massive black wolf. I let out a low whistle "You're like a giant Sam" I say, changeling fire and grinning as a ball of flame floats above my hand, casting light around us. He sniffs the ground and jerks his head to the left, before lowering himself to the ground. I climb on his back and dig my knees in as he takes off. It's not long before I see the familiar yellow of Bella's raincoat. I leap from Sam's back extinguishing the flame and stroking her hair out of her face. Long tanned arms lift Bella from the ground and he starts to carry her back. "So how do you know about us?" Sam asks, causing me to break out of my thoughts, "I figured that if the legends about the cold ones were true, then so are the others" I say, he nods his head, "So you and the Leech Doctor?" He asks, "Carlisle" I mutter, crossing my arms, he nods and I hear people near, "I'm sorry" He says, I snap my head to him, "What for?" I ask, he shrugs "I saw how shocked you looked. He should've said goodbye" He says, I nod my head "Yeah. He should've. But dwelling on things gets us nowhere" I say as we break through the trees, "Charlie!" I hear Jacob say, pointing towards us. Dad runs up to us and goes to grab her, "She's alright!" Sam says, gently handing her to Dad. I nod at Sam as he walks away and hug uncle Billy and Harry. I follow Dad into the house and check Bella's pulse, normal. I hug dad and yawn "I'm going to head home, call me tomorrow" I mutter and make my way downstairs and to my jeep. I felt numb, as I drive to my house. I climb out of my jeep and head upstairs and pull the clothes from my body before climbing into the shower. It hits me like a wrecking ball once I'm alone, and a sob escapes my mouth, I cover my mouth with my hand as my shoulders shake and concentrate on cleaning myself, ignoring the tears that pour down my face.