19

I stare at Bella as she lays on the hospital bed, her heart monitor beeping slowly. Edward slumps on a chair, not taking his eyes off of her. I press a kiss to Bella's forehead and make my way toward Edward and squeeze his shoulder. He meets my eyes, confusion dancing in his own. "You should hate me. She almost died because of what I did" He says, I sigh softly "She would've died if you hadn't" I say and move towards the door, Mom almost walks into me, "Is there any change?" She asks, I shake my head and her fave crumples. I wrap my arms around her, and she buries her face in my shoulder. I hug her tightly and pull away, "I'm going to find Carlisle" I mutter, Mom nods and goes into Bella's room. I wander around the hospital until I notice the familiar blonde hair. I grin and walk towards him quickly, I place my hands on his shoulders and jump onto his back. He chuckles "Hello Marissa" He says, without looking up from Bella's chart. I sigh and prop my chin on his shoulder. "I'm bored" I mutter. He glances at me from the corner of his eye and a small smirk tugs at his lips, he hands the chart to another Doctor. "We'll what would you like to do?" He asks, his hands cuddling my thighs and hoisting me further up his back. I wrap an arm around his shoulder and sigh "Something that doesn't involve staring at my unconscious sister" I mutter, he chuckles, "Why don't we get some fresh air?" He says, walking towards the doors. I tap his shoulder and he lets me go, I jump down from his back, he holds the door open and I walk out first. It was dark outside and the streets were mostly empty. Our shoulders brush as we walk, I sigh heavily and sit on a wall and tilt my head back, my eyes closing as the cool wind whips my hair around. "What's on your mind?" Carlisle asks, leaning against the wall next to me. "James. And the other two, who's to say they won't come for revenge? I could barely fight off James" I say, meeting his eyes, he sighs and takes my hand "They might." He says, he reaches into my pocket and pulls out the book. "But you'll be ready" He says, handing it to me. I smile at him "You have a way with words Dr. Cullen" I say, He grins "That's what happens after three hundred years, you tend to know how to make people feel better" He says, his thumb stroking along my knuckles. "Is that why you became a Doctor?" I ask, a flash of seriousness covers his face, "No..." He trails off, "It's a long story" He mutters. I tilt my head to the side, and check my imaginary watch, "I think we have plenty time" I say, the corner of my mouth pulling up, he smirks "I'll tell you why I became a Doctor if you tell me why you became a Midwife" He says. I widen my eyes "Oh you drive a hard bargain" I say and jump down from the wall. He doesn't let go of my hand and tugs me back towards the hospital.

We stand outside Bella's room and I smile when I see her talking to Mom and Dad together. I watch as Mom tears up and nods her head, and Charlie actually lets a tear slip and leans down and hugs Bella. I smile and turn to Carlisle, "I became a Midwife because I had been fascinated with pregnancy since Mom was Pregnant with Bella" I say, "She wanted to know everything about it. She would sit with the Midwife for as long as possible asking question after question." Mom says, smiling at me, Charlie approaches us and closes the door to give Edward and Bella some privacy. "What are we talking about?" He asks, looking between each of us. I smile "When Mom was Pregnant with Bella" I say, he grins "When you knew you wanted to be a midwife. Despite the Gymnastics" He says, ruffling my hair. Carlisle raises an eyebrow, "You did Gymnastics?" He asks, I smile "Since I was three. I stopped when I was 19" I say, he nods and Mom and Charlie hug me. "We're going to get some food, I'll see you before I leave" Mom says, squeezing me tight, before pulling Charlie down the corridor. Carlisle smiles "I became a Doctor because I wanted to Help people. Not hurt them, despite my...flaws" He says, glancing around. I smile "That wasn't very long" I say, he grins "I'll tell you the full story another time" He says. His eyes snap towards Bella and Edward and he raises an eyebrow, "What are they talking about?" I ask, looking between them. Bella grins at me and shoots me a thumbs up. "Us" He says simply. I roll my eyes "Hardly an answer!" I pout, he chuckles "They're talking about our bet" He says. I frown and then my eyes widen. In all the craziness I had forgotten about that. "Um...what about it?" I say, my neck flushing. "Bella is asking Edward when I am going to claim my prize" He says, raising a challenging eyebrow at me. I cross my arms "Edward didn't carry through on our deal" I say, shooting a glare at the copper haired vampire, who lifts his hands in surrender. "And what was your deal?" He asks, "The traitor was supposed to carry me." I say, pouting. Carlisle laughs and tugs me out of their view, before I realise what's happening he grips the back of my neck and lowers his lips to mine. All of my common sense fades away as lips massage mine, my entire body tingles and I wrap my arms around his neck, burying one hand in his hair, the other fiddling with the back of his collar. His free hand grips my waist, before travelling up my side and cupping my jaw, he pulls away and presses a sweet, chaste kiss to my lips before resting his forehead against mine. "I don't think you know exactly how long I've wanted to do that" He whispers, My swollen lips pull up into a cheeky smirk, "How long?" I ask, he chuckles "Since the very first time you smiled at me" He mutters, then pulls away. "Go and say goodbye to your sister. I'll take you back to Forks" He says, walking towards Rosalie and Alice. I smile and knock on Bella's door, "Hello!" I say, taking Edward's space next to her. She smiles "I told him you were on the Rez" She says, with a small chuckle, I grin "Next time you decide to battle a crazy vampire Psycho, please tell me first" I mutter, pulling her into a gentle hug, She sighs "Are you leaving?" She asks, I nod "Yeah. I cant rely on Sue to look after Nicky forever" I mutter, she smiles again. "I'll see you when I get home" She says, squeezing my hand, her eyes dropping. I nod my head "Love you Izzy" I mutter then exit her room. Mom walks into me then laughs, "Oh, sorry!" She exclaims, grabbing the bag of chips before they fall to the ground. Charlie stands behind her, his arms filled with candy. I roll my eyes, Mom had always had a sweet tooth. "Carlisle is going to take me home" I say. Mom's eyes widen and she dumps her armful of snacks in Charlie's arms, "You're leaving? Already?" She asks, I smile sadly, "I have a job, and a baby to look after. I'll come visit though. When you and Phil are settled" I mutter, inhaling my mothers scent. I had missed her, and it was great to see her again, even if it wasn't for long. "I love you Mom" I whisper, squeezing her tightly, she smiles sadly, "I love you too Marissa." She says, pulling away, her eyes water and she laughs, wiping away her tears. I smile at dad, "See you later" I say with a smile, he smiles back and nods, before walking into Bella's room. Mom shoots me a watery grin before walking Into the room. I sigh and make my way towards Carlisle, who waits with his keys in his hand.