4

Bella's first day at school. I think I am alot more nervous than her. I remember what my school days were like. Bella raises her eyebrows at me from the sofa, "Will you relax, Rissa?" She sighs, I roll my eyes, and grab my appointment book. I sit on the sofa, and open it to todays page. "How busy are you?" Charlie asks, handing me a coffee. "Back to back, Ultrasounds until lunch, with students! Kill me now!" I whine, Charlie laughs, "Have fun!" He says, grabbing his keys and leaving. Bella glances at me, "So you have the afternoon off?" She asks, I nod. "I think I might go shopping, We can't eat at the diner for the rest of our lives." I mutter and smooth my dark blue scrubs over my chest. She stands up and grabs her own keys, "Good luck with the students!" She calls out and slams the front door closed, I wince and down my Coffee. Before grabbing my keys and walking out of my house. I lock the door behind me.

The hospital was crowded, I roll my eyes and sign in at the front desk, and walk over to the elevator. I press the button to take me up to the maternity wing. "Good morning Miss Swan" Dr Cullen says, walking past me with five students following him. "Good morning Dr. Cullen!" I say cheerily, waving at him, as I grab the first folder. I look it over "Group C, your with me!" I say loudly. I wait until they are all standing in front of me. "You're awfully young" A teenage boy says. "What's your name?" I ask him, he smirks "Ramos, Vincent Ramos" He says, I nod "For your information, Mr Ramos. I am the qualified Midwife here. If you're not willing to listen to what I have to teach you, then maybe a different career would've in order?" I suggest. He flushes red, and doesn't answer me, "That's what I thought" I say, and open the first file. "First Patient is Amelia Smith...38 weeks along, first pregnancy...does anyone have any questions?" I ask, No one speaks, and I sigh "This way" I say, and walk into the first room. "Before we go in...Do not mention her age, your job is to make her feel comfortable, not ridiculed" I say and open the door. "Hello Amelia! I hope you don't mind, I have some students with me..." I say to the sixteen year old. She smiles at me, rubbing a hand over her large swollen stomach. "Hi, Marissa, I don't mind. Everyone has to learn somehow" She says with a shrug. I motion for the four students to come in. "So tell me, what brought you in today?" I ask, She sighs "I keep getting twinges, my sister says that's normal, but I just want to make sure" She says, I smile at her and lift her dress up and over her stomach. I squeeze the gel over her stomach and press the wand to her abdomen. "How often do you have these twinges?" One of the students asks her. "I've had four since this morning" She says. The student nods her head, and jots it down. I bite my lip as I stare at the screen. "Your baby is due tomorrow?" I ask her, She nods her head, I nod my head. And put the wand away, I grab a paper towel, and wipe the gel from her stomach. I motion for the students to get out. "I'm gonna need you to stay there for a minute, alright?" I say, she nods, her eyes widening slightly. I step outside, "Can anyone tell me what's wrong with her?" I ask. Ramos shakes his head, but the girl who asked her the question, opens her mouth to speak, but then snaps it closed. I point at her, "You.Miss White is it? Tell me" I say. She looks down at her feet. "Um...Is the baby Breech?" She asks, I smile at her, and nod my head for her to continue. "Yes, well done. I'll have her try some exercises to help turn the baby, and we'll keep her in overnight" I say. They nod and scribble in their notebooks. I walk over to the desk, and pick up a few files. I write something down, and look through the phone book. I make the call and request a bed for Amelia. I turn around and frown "Where's Ramos?" I ask, all three of them look at the ground, then one glances at the door to Amelia's room. I walk across the to the door quickly and close it behind me. "Mr. Ramos, why are you in here unsupervised?" I ask, crossing my arms across my chest. He lifts his hands up "I was only showing her the exercises to turn the baby" He says. I look over to where Amelia is squatting. "What did he show you?" I ask her. Walking over to her and hooking my arm around her. "He showed me the squat thing..."She trails off at the furious look on my face. "I'm going to help you stand up now ok...nice and slow" I say gently. She nods and I help pull her to her feet. I help her sit in the wheelchair that one of the students had wheeled in. "Miss white please take Amelia along to Bay 14, bed three please, page me if there is any change" I say. She nods, and wheels Amelia away down the corridor. "You two have the rest of the day off. Mr Ramos if you will a company me." I say and walk out of the room. I walk down to the nurses break room. "Are you aware that doing Squats Induces labour?" I ask, he shakes his head. "Because of your need to impress people you have probably started a Breech labour. You had better pray to hell that nothing happens to the mother or child." I say, and walk away from him, "You have the rest of the day off. Think long and hard about what is important in this career." I say before walking away from him.

The rest of my appointments passed quickly and I was on my break. I had just filled my coffee mug when my pager started beeping. I frown and put my mug down. I pull out my pager and see a message flashing on the top. I grit my teeth and walk out of the break room, leaving my coffee behind. I reach Amelia's room quickly and see her panting. Dr Cullen stands beside her gently pressing against her stomach. I see his students standing around the edges of her new private room. "Ah Nurse Swan has arrived. Baby is still breech" he says, looking me over. I set my shoulders and nod my head. "Alrighty then!" I say clapping my hands together, "Looks like your baby decided to get this show on the road!"