8

I stare at the folder, "We were 19 and we were at a party, I was in training to be a midwife, and we went to a party" I say, Dr. Cullen sits across from me, "I found out I was Pregnant a few weeks later and I told him, His parents were furious" I say, "They told us we had to get married. And so we did" I say, turning the page. I bite back a sob, "He was my best friend...but it was different after we got married. He was a reporter, and would go away for days at a time" I tell him, pushing my warring emotions down. "Every time he came back, we would have dinner at either his parents or Charlie's" I say, "I was seven months along when he came back, and we had just decided on names for the twins" I say, my chest tightens. "He seemed Happy to be with me for once, the closer I got to the end of my due date the more excited he got" I say, Dr. Cullen looks at me with an eyebrow raised. I chuckle "We never wanted to get married. We had spoken about it and decided that a few months after the babies were born we would get a divorce" I say and he nods. "We were driving to Charlie's for Dinner when a drunk driver hit the car..." I say, he doesn't say anything. "I don't remember much, except that they took us both straight to the OR" I say, "They told me he didn't make it when I woke up..." I say. "What about the babies?" He asks. I feel my eyes fill, "I loved them so much...I honestly couldn't wait to meet them" I say, looking back at the folder. I turn the page and a tear slips down my face, followed by another one. "They were so small, and I knew it was unlikely that they would survive...but I hoped against hoped." I say, "Samantha came into my room later that night. And I knew what had happened immediately, She let me hold them so I could say goodbye..." My voice cracks at the end, and more tears slip down my face. "You know, the only thing I can really remember was the pain...the pain when we crashed and everything after...I threw myself into my work, I wanted to forget all about it, but I cant" I say staring at the picture of the twin Babies. He watches me for a moment "What names did you decide on?" He asks, I stare at the picture "Charles and Cassandra" I say, he nods "Why don't you make a memorial for them? In a place that means alot to you?" He asks. I lift my eyes to his, "I did." I say, with a small smile "My Uncle Billy whittled a cross for them..." I say. He nods "When was the last time you visited?" He asks, I smile "I go every Saturday" I say. He nods and reaches across the desk, "You are going to be a great mother to Nicholas" He says, I smile "Thank you" I say and stand up, wiping my face. I close the folder and we walk downstairs. Esme smiles nd hands the baby to me. I look down at the little baby in my arms and a small smile grows across my face, "Yes, I think I will enjoy being your mother" I say, to him. He opens his eyes and stares at me, Rosalie snatches my phone from my pocket. "I'm putting all of our numbers in" She says, tapping a few times. She slides my phone back in my pocket and Esme grins. "I'll drive you back to your Dad's, I'm sure he and aunt Bella are waiting to meet the newest member of the swan family!" She says. I nod and she leads me back to her car. I cradle Nicholas in my arms as I climb into the back seat.

Esme smiles and waves at me as she drives away. I walk to the front door and push it open. Charlie and Bella stand up from the sofa as soon as I walk in. "Dad, Izzy, Meet Nicholas" I say, Charlie and Bella look at him and Charlie holds his arms out. "Where were you?" He asks, I smile "I was showing the adoption lady my house" I say, Bella stares up at me with wide eyes, "Are you moving back in there?" She asks. I smile and nod, and she grins, so does Charlie "Good for you!" He says, clapping me on the shoulder with his spare hand. My phone pings in my pocket, and I pull it out and read the message over "House has been redecorated, hope you like!" From Alice. Dad hands the Baby back to me and I smile "Well I'll see you tomorrow at the diner then?" I ask, they both nod and I walk up to my room and lay the baby on the bed, I grab a duffel and throw all of my scrubs in. I sling it over my shoulder and carefully pick the baby up again. Dad smiles at me as I leave. I walk to my house, since my jeep is there. I see the Cullen kids standing in front of my door. Alice grins at me, "We thought we'd wait until you got here!" She says jumping up and down. I smile "Thank you" I say, Emmett grins "Maybe you'll let me drive your jeep one day?" He asks hopefully, staring at it. I chuckle "Don't count on it!" I say, and he pouts before walking to Edwards car. I wait until they leave before walking into the house. My eyes widen in surprise at the complete difference. I walk upstairs and push the door to the nursery open, The crib stands in one corner, and the changing table had been moved to the bottom of the table, the chest of drawers had been moved to sit under the windowsill. I smile and unwrap the baby. I undress him and change his Diaper. Before dressing him in an adorable little onesie. I carry him downstairs and make a fresh bottle for him. I walk into the living room and sit on the sofa, I cradle him in the crook of my arm as I feed him. Once he finishes I burp him, then wait half an hour before I bath him. I change his diaper again before laying him in the crib. I turn the mobile on and flick the light switch. I keep the door open and walk through to the bedroom. I smile at the difference and pull out some PJ's. I carry the things through to the bathroom and shower quickly, I blow dry my hair so it doesnt make me cold before climbing into my bed and drifting off to sleep.