15

"Abuela?!" I burst into my bedroom, Carlisle right behind me. She was lying against the pillows, her breath rattling in her chest. She weakly pats the mattress next to her and I make my way over and climb onto the mattress and curl into her side. She wraps an arm around me and holds my hand tightly. "I have to show you something" She croaks. I nod my head and she lifts her hand up, and furrows her brow. A small flame grows in her hand and my eyes widen. "Abuela?" I ask. She smiles and closes her hand into a fist, extinguishing the flame. "I am giving you my Gift. Wield it wisely" She mutters pressing her hand to my forehead. Pain erupts in my skull and my vision turns into a bright white light. I could feel the energy buzzing throughout my whole body, then settling and the core of my gut. The white light fades, along with the pain and Abuela's hand falls away from my forehead and onto her chest, I settle into her side again, my mind spinning. "Te quiero, querida. Nunca olvides que" (I love you, Dear. Never forget that.) She says, I nods my head listening to her rattling breaths. They slow and eventually stop altogether, the tight grip Abuela had on my hand loosens, and my hands shake as I move from her side and fold her hands together on her chest. I could feel the tears running down my face, and it felt like there had been a hole punched through my chest. "Te Amo, Abuela" I mutter and turn away from her, only to notice Carlisle standing by the door. I move past him and dial the Paramedics. I hang up the phone and walk slowly downstairs. I drop onto the sofa, and my eyes drift closed. The tears were still trickling down my face.

I wasn't sure how long I had been sitting there "Rizzy?" I open my eyes and notice Leah, she had cut her hair into a Bob, and I could see her own eyes watering. Sue and Harry stood behind her, Seth was here too. She walks over to me and wraps her arms around me, Sue drops a Tupperware box on the table and sits next to her daughter. Harry drops onto the sofa beside me and wraps an arm around my shoulder, his hand resting on Leah's head. "Your Dad will be here soon" He says. I nod my head swiping the tears from my cheeks. I take a deep shaky breath and stand up, "Do you want something to drink?" I ask, wiping my face on my sleeve. Seth jumps up, "I'll help you!" He says, wrapping an arm around my back, I smile at the 14 year old and ruffle his hair. "You can put your mothers cookies on a platter" I say, grabbing the tub from the table and handing it to him. He pries the lid off and inhales deeply, "Mmmm still warm" he mutters following me through to the kitchen. The doorbell pings. I set the mugs on the counter and make my way to the door, I pull it open and point the paramedics upstairs, Esme climbs out of a car and pulls Nicky from the back seat. She gives me a hug when she reaches me and hands Nicky to me, Carlisle walks downstairs in front of the Paramedics, he pauses next to me, his hand squeezing my shoulder, before edging past me and making his way to Esme's car. I move back into the house and allow the Paramedics past. I walk into the living room, Nicky propped against my chest, Sue stands up and strokes my hair from my forehead and pressing a kiss to my head before taking Nicky from my arms, I smile and walk back into the kitchen and see Seth chewing rapidly, his cheeks bulging out like a hamsters. His eyes widen when he notices me and hides his hands behind his back. "It wath only two" He protests, spraying crumbs everywhere. I burst out laughing and lean against the counter for support. My laughter soon turns into sobs, my whole body shaking. "Marissa?" I look up and notice my Dad standing in the entryway. He moves towards me and wraps his arms around me. I bury my face in his chest and he seats from side to side, holding me tightly against him. I cried into his chest for I don't know how long. But my tears dried eventually and I pull away from Dad and wipe my face. I move towards the cabinet near the back door and pull out two bottles of Scotch. He chuckles and I carry the mugs back into the living room, along with a mug of hot cocoa for Seth. I notice Dad grabbing the platter of cookies. I drop onto the seat next to Uncle Harry and Leah, and place the mugs on the table. I fill them up with the Scotch and hand them out. Leah grins and holds her mug up "Para la abuela, que prospera en el sarcasmo" (To Grandma, who thrives on Sarcasm) She says. I chuckle and hold my mug up and clink it against hers. She throws it back at the exact same time that I do. I shudder at the taste when the door opens, and Billy wheels himself in. I jump up and intercept him before he enters the living room and wheel him towards the kitchen and out of the backdoor. "Are you alright Marissa?" He asks, when I close the back door. I shake my head "I need to talk to you" I say, sitting on the steps, he eyes me warily and I chuckle dryly, "Abuela did something not long before died..." I trail off, not really sure how to put what she done into words, Billy's eyes widen slightly and he leans closer. "She put her hand on my forehead and it was like..." I stop again and wring my hands, he leans back "A bright white light and a pain in your head?" He asks, I nod "And the tingling." I tap my midriff with my finger and he nods. "She transferred her gift to you" He says, I narrow my eyes "What gift? I don't get it" I say, throwing a hand above my head. Billy sighs "Abuela was an Elemental" He says, My brow furrows, "That would make sense if I knew what it meant Uncle Billy" I say. He sighs "An Elemental is someone who has power over the elements" He says, My eyes widen "What? Like Earth, air, fire and water?" I ask, he smirks "And wood and Metal" he says. My breath escapes my lungs in a rush and I slump against the steps. He sighs softly and takes my hand. "Close your eyes and block out everything" He says. I frown but do it anyway, and concentrate on emptying my mind of all thoughts, "Now I want you to travel into yourself and look for the bright swirling energy" He says. I concentrate until I find a thread and follow it. Colours flood my vision behind my closed eyes and I quickly snap them open. "Jeez, that was bright" I mutter, Billy smiles at me "Practise and soon you will be able to control them" He says, wheeling himself back into the house. I sit on the back step,blinking in shock. Why would Abuela give me her gifts? I didn't understand. I did understand that the old woman knew more than she had been letting on, and I was determined to find out what.