23

I could tell Bella didn't think much of of the paper cut. My eyes were wide as Jasper let out a ferocious growl. Edward quickly shoves Bella backwards, send her into me, and the two of us flying backwards. Edward stops Jasper's approach and throws him backwards, he crashes into the piano and is on his feet again. "Rose get Nicky out of here!" I say, brushing glass from my clothes, I see her leave from the corner of my eye. Carlisle and Emmett charge at Jasper, and manage to pin him to the ground. Alice straddles him and strokes his face, "Shh, Jasper...its just a little..." She trails off and looks at me, "Blood" She whispers, her eyes darkening. I frown and look over myself, I had one long cut, but Bella seemed to have gotten the worst of it. "Shit" I mutter, Carlisle is by our side in less than a second. He grabs my arm gently, before checking Bella. I could see everyone's eyes darken, except Carlisle. He stretches out a hand, "Get Jasper out of here" He says, Emmett and Esme pulls Jasper out of the house. Alice following behind quickly, "I'll stitch you up in my office" Carlisle says to Bella, the cut on my arm wasn't serious enough to scar, let alone need stitches. "Edward, go check on Jasper" Carlisle says, helping Bella to her feet. I get up on my own, and notice how black Edwards eyes are. "Go Edward. He needs you" I say, he spins on his heel and leaves the house. Carlisle meets my eyes "Go and stitch her up. I'll be down here" I mutter, moving towards the kitchen. He nods and takes her upstairs, I look around the living area and let out a sigh, I glance at the cut and see a thin line of blood. I make my way to the kitchen and let the water run over it. I dry it quickly and grab the sweeping brush and take it through to the living room. I clean up the broken glass, and stare at the trashed piano with a frown, and the table that broke under Bella and I's weight. I get rid of the glass and sit on the step, my chin in my hand. I couldn't get rid of the feeling that something was going to change. Bella appears at the top of the stairs, "Where's Edward?" She asks, I smile at my sister, "Outside" I mutter, standing up and kissing her forehead and making my way into Carlisle's, now brightly lit, office. He sits at his desk, with his head in his hands. He doesn't look at me and I move to stand behind him and rest my hands on his shoulders, "Hey" I whisper, he reaches up and takes my hand in his, squeezing it. "Are you alright?" I ask, tilting my head to the side. "It wasn't the blood was it?" I ask, He looks up at me, and shakes his head, "I've never been affected by Human blood" He says softly, pulling me around from behind him, and into his lap. "Edwards taking Bella home" He says, burying his face in my hair and holding me tightly against him. He pulls away slightly and presses his forehead to mine, capturing my lips in a sweet, gentle kiss. He pulls away and stands up, with me still in his arms, he sets me on my feet and takes my hand and leads me downstairs, the mess was already cleared up, and Rose reluctantly hands Nicky back to me. I smile and Carlisle leads me outside to his car.

We pull up outside my house, Carlisle hadn't said a word the entire drive. I get out of the car, Nicky resting his head against my shoulder, Carlisle gets out of the car and walks me to my door, He stops me just before I open the door and places a desperate kiss to my lips before pulling away, his hands stroke my face and he studies me intently, as if trying to commit every feature to memory. "I love you" He whispers, my heart flutters, then he places a kiss to Nicky's head and speeds back towards his car. I watch him drive away, a sinking feeling in my gut, "I love you too" I say into the darkness. I push my front door open and lock it behind me. "Bath time!" I say to Nicky, carrying him upstairs, my mind drifting back to the look on Carlisle's face. He obviously knew something I didn't. I run the bath for Nicky and test the water before lowering him into the water and washing him. I pull the heated towel from the radiator and wrap him up, before carrying him into his nursery. I put a clean diaper on him once he's dry, and put him in a blue sleep suit. I carry him downstairs and make him a bottle, before taking him back up to the nursery, I rock him to sleep and place him in his Crib and switch the Mobile on. I switch the lights off and close the door and make my way into the bathroom for a shower. I switch the water on and peel off my clothes and soap up my sponge and wash myself. I stand under the stream of hot water and stub the makeup from my face, I squirt some shampoo into my hand and massage it into my hair, sighing as the suds swirl down the drain. I condition my hair and rinse it out wrapping a towel around my head and another around my body, I drop my clothes in the hamper and go through to my bedroom, and get changed into my PJ's. I dry my hair and walk downstairs to the kitchen. I cook myself a peppered steak and drop it on a plate and making my way into the living room and turning on a trashy reality show. I couldn't get the feeling of desperation from Carlisle's kiss out of my mind. It had seemed like he thought it was his last chance,maybe it was. I shake my head to rid myself of the thought and finish my dinner before washing the plate and drying it, putting it back in its place. I walk upstairs, after turning the TV off and check on Nicky, who sleeps soundly. I climb into my bed and set my alarm, clicking the bedside lamp off and burrowing under my duvet. After all, I had work and I needed to sleep, despite the few hours I had at the Cullen house.