13

I chew on my lip as the truck speeds forward, Slowly gaining more speed. I pull out my phone, "Nurse Swan, I've sent the ambulance. It should be there in half an hour." The woman says. "Cancel it, We don't have half an hour. I'm on my way now with the patient. She needs to go straight to OR. The cord has ruptured and even with the injection to help speed things up it still isn't coming" I say. "I'll have a Doctor on standby" she says and ends the call. I see the blood stain growing, and slide the window open. "You really need to go faster!" I say, and grab the sides as the truck gains speed. Soon we are flying along the roads and soon a police car starts to follow. "Don't stop!" I say, Sam pulls into the Hospital Lot and screeches to a halt. They jump out and pull the back down. They grab the stretcher and carry her into the emergency Bay. I wait until the police car pulls up. "Hello Ernest! Sorry for the speed. We needed to get her here as soon as possible, and I really need to go!" I say and run into the hospital. I follow as the men rush into the ER, Caroline was groaning in pain. Her hands clutching at her stomach. Mr Murray holds the baby in his arms, staring after his wife sadly. I place a hand on his shoulder "We have really good doctors, Mr Murray. Your wife is in good hands" I say, he nods "Thank you, Marissa" he says, sitting on one of the hard plastic chairs. I sigh softly, "I have to go, but I'll check in later" I say, then turn away from him. I walk out of the hospital and groan. I had left my jeep on the rez. I bite back a curse and grab my bag from the bed of Sam's truck. I knew Sam, he was Leah's boyfriend. I sigh and look down the main street, I was lucky, My house wasn't to far away from the hospital.

I push open my front door and sigh softly, the house was quiet, but Charlie's Cruiser was still in the drive. He wasn't in the living room or kitchen so I walk quietly upstairs. A smile tugs at my lips when I hear Abuela singing softly in Spanish. I push open the door and smile, Nick was sleeping against her chest, an empty bottle was sitting on the night stand. "¿Todo bien?" (Everything Alright) I whisper, Charlie looks up slightly confused. Abuela looks up with a smile "Sí. No te preocupes Marissa, aún no estoy muerta" (Yes. Don't worry Marissa, I'm not dead yet) she says, My eyes widen in shock. "Don't joke about that!" I mutter, She grins and motions me forward, "Pon al niño en su cama, entonces dormiré" (Put the child in his bed. Then I'll sleep) She says. I take the baby from her arms, he snuffles then cuddles into my chest. I walk through to the Nursery and lay him in his crib. I flick the switch on the mobile and slowly exit the room. Charlie exits Abuela's room and hugs me, before heading downstairs. I push open her door and close it behind me, Abuela fixes the duvet over her legs and pats the mattress, "Come and sit, my dear" She says, I nod and sit next to her, she wraps an arm around my shoulder and squeezes me softly, "I am glad that you're moving on. You deserve to be happy" She says, tears fill my eyes and I shake my head "I haven't moved on. I realised that Adam wouldn't want me to be miserable, We might be not been In love but I did love him" I say, leaning my head on her shoulder. She smiles "He was your best friend and he loved you too" She says, a tear dripping down her face. "I remember when I first met you. Soaking wet and covered in mud with a great bright smile on your face. I knew you were special then" She says. I hug her tightly and sigh until I hear a knock on the front door. "I'll tell you later" She says, waving her hand towards the door. It slowly opens and My brow furrows in confusion but I get up off the bed and make my way downstairs. I pull open the door and my mouth drops open. "Rizzy!" Leah sobs, barrelling into me. My eyes widen and I tug her into the house and close the door. "Leah? What's wrong?" I ask, She drops onto the sofa and looks at her hand where an engagement ring sits. Tears stream down her face "He...he left me" She cries. I sit next to her and wrap an arm around her and hug her. "It'll be alright" I say soothingly. She pulls the ring off her finger "He left me for Emily Young" She growls. I stroke her long hair out of her face "Your cousin?" I ask, She nods her head and hands me the ring. "Can you give this back to him?" She asks. I nod my head "So long as you don't mind keeping an eye on Nik and Abuela" I say with a smile. She grins "Yeah. I love Abuela, she's brilliant" She says. I smile "My bedroom." I say, grabbing my jacket and keys, "I won't be long" I say and close the door behind me and climb into my jeep.

The drive to the Rez didn't take long. I had tucked the ring into my pocket. It was nice to be alone as I drive down the long winding road. My phone suddenly buzzes, and I pick it up I raise an eyebrow at the name that flashes across the screen. Then drop it on the passenger seat. I was pissed that Sam could just dump Leah, for her cousin no less. I pull up outside Emily's house and sit for a minute before turning the engine off. I felt torn, I got along with Emily Well, and I knew Sam genuinely loved Leah, so I didn't understand. I sigh and push the door open and skip up the step and knock on the door three times. The door opens and Emily stares at me with wide eyes before plastering a kind smile on her face, She looked nervous. "Hi Marissa" She says softly, I smile tightly, "Hey Emily, Is Sam in?" I ask, She nods and moves away from the door. Sam appears and stares at me, "Have you heard from Leah?" He asks, I nod and dig in my pocket and pull out the ring, "She wanted me to give this back to you" I say dropping the ring into his hand. He stares at it sadly, then meets my eyes "I didn't want to hurt her" He says, pain lacing his tone. I sigh "She just needs time" I say and walk back down the stairs, "I'll see you around" I say to the two of them. I got into my truck and noticed Sam and Emily interact. He looked at her like she was the most important thing in the world, like his whole reason for living. I pull away from her house and drive back towards forks when my phone buzzes. I click answer and put it on speaker and place it on the dashboard. "Hello Emmett" I say, concentrating on the road. "Alice said you went to the Rez. Are you alright?" He asks, I snort "Why wouldn't I be? I spend almost all of my free time there." I say, I hear a note of worry in his voice when he speaks next. "It's dangerous, Rissa" He warns. I sigh "I appreciate the concern Emmett, but it can't be any more dangerous than Vampires" I snap, shame fills me and I groan "I didn't mean it like that." I say, "No I get it." He says, I hear a smile in his voice and relax slightly. "And plus. Uncle Harry's fish fry! And aunt Sue's cookies!" I say. He laughs and then ends the phone call. I pull into my driveway and stop the car. I go into the house and hear laughing up the stairs. I smile and walk into the kitchen to prepare dinner.