Thirty One Part Three

Start from the beginning

"That is how we feel about it." Pete agreed.

"So tell me other things." Rebecca smiled at the maid, as the girl set their steaming plates in front of them.

"Thank ye." Pete said absently to the maid, once again keeping his eyes on Rebecca. "I could tell you about a miracle we had at sea." Pete picked up his fork, and took a bite with his left hand, so his right hand did not have to release Rebecca's.

Rebecca could not eat, Pete was holding her left hand, and she happened to be left handed.

Pete noticed she had not picked up her fork. Thinking her uncomfortable with him holding onto her, he released her.

As she smiled and lifted her fork, spearing into her pudding, Pete transferred his fork to his right hand, and they shared a laugh together.

"I had not noticed you were left handed, I will remember to seat ye on my left next time." Pete winked at her then gave his dinner some attention, as Rebecca glowed at his words.

There would be a next time.

"Your miracle...?" She prompted, before taking a small bite.

Pete turned serious eyes her way, "Have ye heard of the Barbary Pirates?"

Rebecca chewed her dinner slowly, as she nodded, her eyes growing round with concern at his words.

************************************

Will sat up in the dirt slowly, his hands pushing him up from behind, as one knee raised up in front of him.

Will tested his jaw as the Duke turned to Violet. "I apologise for my son...."

Violet replied, "No, your grace, it is I who apologise." Violet was instantly appalled at his own behaviour.

Will began laughing heartily, as he slowly stood, raising both hands in surrender he gave Violet an appreciative look. "Why are you two apologising, when it is only I that owe one?"

Violet started wondering the same thing, "You apologise?" Vi narrowed his eyes at Will, as the man brushed off his backside.

"Of course I do, just because I find your wife delectable does not mean I should say it to your face." Will continued laughing, as he again held his hands up in surrender, "Joking, my good man, she is as my little sister, Mister Petals, and I would know how you felt about her, truth be told."

Violet could see enough of Will's face in the semi darkness, to tell that Will had been goading him.

"I hope that satisfied your curiosity." Violet stated.

Will continued to express amusement in his tone, "More than I expected, Mister Petals." Will rubbed his jaw, as he walked past Violet to take his horses reigns in hand.

Tying them to a post until a groom came for the steed, Will waited, as his father and Vi exchanged glances.

The Duke brushed by Will, "You can fetch your own cigar and brandy after such rude behaviour, young man." William took his seat again, as Violet followed suit and sat once more beside the large man.

"I did dance with your wife last night, Mister Petals. However, all she wanted to talk about, was you." Will said this, as he walked into the manor to fetch his own glass and a cigar.

Violet smiled smugly, he knew a peace offering when he heard one, and that one had been pretty good.

"He is not so bad once you get used to him." William imparted, before taking a swallow of brandy, and relighting his cheroot.

Taking the flame from the duke, Violet replied, "I hope to feel the same about his sister one day." Violet relit his cigar as he remembered the trouble he had with Arianna. He could easily see the two being brother and sister. Both of them being just a bit high in the instep for his tastes.

Will greeted his mother, and his aunt, explaining he was going to join the men for a bit out on the veranda.

Taking his glass and a cigar, Will went back out with the men.

The three of them sat in companionable silence for a few moments, as Will wiggled his jaw around a bit, before lighting his cheroot and swallowing his libation.

"I would care to apologise, my lord," Violet did not want to be the kind of man who settled things with his fists, and he could usually hold his temper better than that. He knew it was his own frustrated feelings of wanting to be with Elizabeth that had made him so quickly turn to violence. "I should not have been so quick to anger."

The empty glass rested upon Will's thigh as he turned his gaze to Violet, "You owe me none, Mister Petals, I would have done the same......... T'was my fault completely, I definitely should have ducked."

Will grinned at Vi, before inquiring, "Am I forgiven?"

Violet could goad also, "I suppose you must be, my wife thinks quite highly of you, though I can not see why."

"Me either." Will stated, as all three men then chuckled at his humor.

"You had no idea Bitsy was Alex Hasting's daughter when you wed her?" Will brought up his newly acquired knowledge.

Violet was not sure how he felt about Will having a pet name for his wife, yet he held himself in restraint, "No," Vi looked to Will, "Elizabeth did not even know herself until just recently."

Violet turned to the Duke, "Did you know you had what qualified as a trained assassin under your roof?" Violet chuckled softly, as both men's eyes showed confusion.

Violet than told them what Betsy was capable of.

They were suitably amused, and amazed, at the telling of the rat eradication, they then erupted into laughter when Violet told of the blustering commander having his leg soaked.

"She always did have a hidden spark in her." Will thought back to the many times Betsy had smacked him when he had teased her mercilessly, trying to kiss her.

It had just been too entertaining for Will to waylay her in the hallways, teasing her with advances, making her blush and sputter.

Will did not intend to inform her new husband of this, however, unless of course, he wanted to get clocked again.

"So where does one come by the name of Violet Petals?" Will chuckled.

"The same way you came by your own name, my Lord." Violet was becoming mellowed by the dark, quiet evening, a few sips of brandy, and his cigar.

They were being civil now, so Vi chose not to be offended.

"Does your mother have something against you?" Will chuckled some more, as he asked.

"Your mother likes my name." Violet raised a brow at the man next to him.

"She would." Will stated, still amused.

"'Tis hard to tell what the ladies like most," Violet ruminated, "My name, or my face, as both have always served me well in that capacity, my lord." Violet then chuckled, at Will's puckish face.

"Please, Mister Petals, call me Will, 'tis the least you can do after knocking me flat on my arse." Will's humor was evident in his demeanor.

Violet decided, that even though Will did take some getting used to, he was enjoying Will's company. "I go by Violet, or Vi..... Or Captain," Violet smiled smugly, "Whichever you prefer, Will."

"Damned pirate," Will chuckled, "Just my luck, Bitsy goes off and marries herself a damned pirate."

"That she did, Will," Violet puffed on his cheroot, "That she did."

Violet's grin could be seen shining brightly in the dark, as the Duke chuckled beside him.

****************************************

Gosh, I love Violet, lol