Chapter 33: Bribery

Start from the beginning

In a moment my face dropped and my rage went through the roof. I grabbed my gun and started up the stairs towards my father's office.

Zeke was quick to follow trying to talk me down, "Rowan, okay, take a second. Mira thought this would happen, though she definitely didn't think this through completely- " I blocked out his rambling as I headed right for my father's office.

The large double doors were left open a crack so I wasted no time kicking them open and hearing them hit the wall.

I clicked my gun and pointed it right at Mason's head, "Give me one good reason not to kill you right now." The room was silent as many stunned people and one very amused Lincoln stared at me, though Mason's eyes were more interested in the gun I had pointed to his head.

"Rowan, no need for such a dramatic entrance. Please put the gun down and take a seat."

I actually laughed, Mason was in no position to be telling me what to do.

"I'm going to ask you one more time, Why the hell should I not blow your brains out right now? And how the hell did you get past the fucking front gate." instead of Mason it was my father who answered.

"I told the guards to let them in, we have business to discuss darling, please take a seat so we can talk." I tucked my gun back in my waistband but I didn't take a seat.

"First, don't call me daring. Second, Zeke remind me to revoke all of Derrick's permissions. And I'll ask again why is he in my house?" My blood was boiling and Justin could probably tell from my body language because he stood up and grabbed my arm to move me out of my father's face.

"We're all here because I've been talking with Jason, Martin, and Mason. We are on the same page about this, there is a group of people in upstate New York that we think might be plotting against all of us, it's people that we've worked with before and they know our faces."

"But they don't know yours."

"Which is why we want you to set us a mission there and go undercover to see how much information you can get. The boys have already agreed to this but we need all of you for this to work."

My father gave a great speech but I think all of them already knew my answer.

"No."

"I told you." My father whispered under his breath to Martin.

"You seem to misunderstand here Rowan. We're not asking, we're telling."

I started laughing at Martin's words.

"You're telling me."

"Me?"

"Yeah, that's not how this works."

"Unlike your bitch boy children over here when my father says jump, I don't ask how high. You all may still have your claws dug into them making them follow your orders, but I cut that hand off long ago."

My dad sighed and pushed Martin out of his way while mumbling to himself, "Yeah, told you it would go this way, didn't I?"

"Rowan, we need you to help us here. I know I can't order you too, which is why I'm asking you, nicely. Please help us, our plan doesn't work without you." I was stunned for a second, my father wasn't someone who threw the word please around often.

I took a second to think before responding, "I'll help you. On some conditions, of course."

Behind me, Lincoln stifled a laugh, "This should be good"

In response, Justin elbowed him while his father glared at him and then at me.

"Derrick, you don't honestly plan to negotiate with her, she's a child and you are the adult." I'm proud of myself, it takes a lot of self-control to not shoot him every time he opens his mouth.

I laughed. "First off, I'm eighteen. I'm allowed to do whatever the fuck I want. Second, let me remind you all that you legally signed away your rights to make any decisions that involve anything gang-related."

"So yes, he will be negotiating with me. So will you if you want my help in your little plan." I gave him a nice big smile and the look on his face was satisfactory enough.

Jason stepped forward and moved Martin off to the side, "Okay, let defuse the situation here. Rowan, what are your conditions?"

I took a seat in one of the chairs in front of my dad's desk that they were all standing in front of, my legs thrown over the arm and I propped my head up on my hand. "I'm so glad you asked. From you, all I want is some of the delicious corn casserole things that Chloe makes."

"From you, Marty boy. I'd like for you to pay for Mira, Candy, and I's next shopping spree. From asshole over here, I mean Mason. I'd like for you to first give me a sincere apology, then I'd like you to pay for the next vacation I decide to go on."

Mason was most likely about to complain but I cut him off. "And lastly from dear old dad. I'd like you to actually be a father to your daughter, because surprisingly Charlotte doesn't hate you yet. But that might be with the fact she only sees you about once every three years. So actually be a father and try not to fuck up another relationship with one of your children."

The room went quiet while Derrick avoided eye contact with everyone, Martin and Mason were biting their tongues, and Jason looked very awkward.

"So do we have a deal?"

Mason glared at me, "This is exploitation"

"Let's just call it good old fashion bribery. You need my help, I've given you my non-negotiable conditions. Take it or leave it."

Before Martin or Mason could talk Jason and Derrick looked at each other.

"Deal."

I sat up in the chair, "Great, now then you three, yes you, the three stooges, Go to my car and get all the food and stuff and bring it in, thank you very much."

The boys grumbled but they all got up to head towards the door but Derrick stopped them.

"Before you go let me just give you the basics of the plan, Cameron and Rowan would check into the suite at one of the hotels Martin owns as newlyweds. The room, which is soundproof by the way, is where you would set up operations. Justin and Lincoln would also be checked into the hotel, under fake names of course, and anyone else that you bring with you for this mission."

I took a second to process everything he just said, but all my brain was focusing on was Newlyweds.

"Did I hear you wrong or did you say, Newlyweds?"

"No, you heard me right. The basics of this plan are focused on the two of you pretending to be newly married so you can get the information we need. And it just so happens that one of these people's sons are also a newlywed that will be checking into McBride hotel."

I went silent, though I could hear Linc laughing his fucking ass off.

"YOU WANT ME TO PRETEND TO BE WHAT!!!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<3