"Maybe you used it," he suggests, shrugging.

I intend to pry, but before I can, we hear another knock.

I stand to join Jungkook by the door as he opens it.

The freezing winter air rushes into the house as Jungkook opens the door. Amidst the cold stands Jimin alongside a woman. She looks nervous, hiding half of her face in a plush knitted scarf as she fiddles with the fringed ends. On her head is an oversized hat that seems to be falling over her eyes.

I turn my attention from her, hoping that the lack of eyes on her will ease her nerves.

Jungkook and Jimin hug in lieu of a greeting before quickly parting.

"Jimin," Jungkook greets, "It's good to see that you're alive after the shopping rush."

Jimin, who mere days ago looked akin to a corpse, now looks lively and awake. His eyes, which looked exhausted and dull when we last saw him are now glistening and adorned with his signature eye-smile.

"Yeah, you actually look better than you did before. Did something happen?" I pipe in.

Jimin nods.

"Not only did it feel good to cash my overtime check, but I also had a certain someone helping me ease my stress," he tells us as he nudges his companion.

"This is my housemate, Suhye," he introduces. The woman pulls the scarf off her face and gives us a warm smile, offering her hand for a handshake. Her dark eyes flick between Jungkook and me restlessly, before they settle slightly above my head, where my ears are resting.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Bo-young," I greet, trying not to be phased by her staring. Jungkook seems to notice my discomfort and steps in.

"I'm Jungkook," he greets too, tearing her attention away from my ears. She looks dazed for a second before shaking his hand, offering him a slightly awkward smile, but her attention isn't diverted for long.

Her eyes return to my ears.

"You're a hybrid?" she asks, her voice soft and curious.

"Um, yes. I am," I respond, unsure about her curiosity. "I hope that's alright."

Her face springs into a look of abject surprise and mild horror when she hears this.

"No, no, god no. It's more than alright," Suhye rushes. She quickly removes her hat to reveal two pointed copper-coloured, black-tipped ears. "I'm a hybrid too. 'Vulpes vulpes' – a common red fox."

"Oh," I say in surprise.

"I'm sorry about staring. I wasn't expecting to meet a bunny hybrid. Don't worry, I won't eat you," Suhye jokingly licks her lips before breaking into a grin. I chuckle, easing when I know she's a hybrid too.

"Why don't you two come in," Jungkook suggests.

(INTERMISSION)

(Take a break to hydrate.)

78.5

BO-YOUNG

The house is filled with lively chatter as we sit in the living room, surrounded by the celebratory silver tinsel. Suhye stays mostly silent as we chat. Distracted, I look at her.