Episode 72: Family Secret

Start from the beginning

"Yes, but we're a bit different. At least our grandfather was," Eri said, lowering his head.

"You know who our maternal grandpa is?" I asked, baffled. Did he learn it from his history courses? Mom and Dad both came from ancient times. They only reunited in this era as they were frozen in time. None of us knew what had caused them to enter a state of slumber, though.

"Yes. It's the original owner of that necklace," he said, pointing at Serein as he stepped out of the car.

Serein glanced at the necklace and smiled. A light radiated from it.

"Wait, are you saying that thing is an abysmal core after all?" I asked. Adela had mentioned it before.

Eri nodded. "Yes. The core of the Chosen of Light. Our grandfather entrusted it to our dad."

"The Chosen of Light? That guy's a legend! Literally," Elliot said. "He's said to have died in a war against the abysmals. Had no idea that he was one of them too."

"Yes. His twin brother was the leader of the abysmals, but the two are said to never have clashed swords directly," Eri said. He narrowed his eyes at his son, who was walking toward the ruins. "Serein, where do you think you're going?"

My nephew stared at the pyramid the others, and I had descended into. "Something familiar is there."

"Yeah," Azure said, stepping out. His necklace was also glowing. "It feels lost."

Why did the two have cores that were glowing? Were the abysmals that they belonged to still alive? But that couldn't be. Grandfather had supposedly died years ago. Then, why was Serein's necklace still active?

Serein stared at me and smiled reassuringly.

Azure gasped. "Iah!" he yelled.

"Iah?" I said. "Did something happen to him?"

The kid's hands shook. "The familiar thing has taken him over."

The ground shook so hard that we were nearly thrown to the floor.

"Yuzu, watch over Hikaru and the kids. I'm going to go find out what's going on!"

"Wait, I'll go with you. Elliot, keep an eye on my brother and the kids for us. We'll be right back!"

Elliot nodded. "Sure can do!"

Eri tensed up. His eyes shifted toward the bottom of the cliff were on.

"What's wrong?" I asked. "Is someone watching us?"

He held out his hand and materialized another water sword. "Yes."

"Wait, please don't attack me!" a voice called out. Emerging from the ground was Xue.

"Xue?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at her. Did she hear what we just said? "Since when did you arrive?"

"A while ago. I felt that Sir Iah was in danger. It seems that my assumption was correct."

"Come with us then," Eri said, lowering his sword.

She held out her hands. "Wait, don't get rid of it. Someone else is here other than me." She glanced over her shoulder at the bottom of the cliff. "I'd been trying to see who they are, but they appear to be on to me."

I bit my lip. "Could it be the Hierarchian troops?"

"That's exactly what I'm thinking. They must be after Lei again."

"Lei," Serein said, striding toward the ruins. Elliot grabbed him by the wrist.

"Hey, don't run off!" Elliot yelled. "I said that I would watch over you, and I plan to keep my promise!"