A year in hell

Naruto's pov:

I'll never forget her face when she stepped out of the rift. She looked so confused, so scared...
What happened to her?

The village was damaged enough, but luckily no one died. The peace we thought we achieved - was a lie.
I took a deep breath and got back in the room from the balcony. Akari was sitting in front of the mirror, her body covered with nothing but  a towel. Her long hair was dripping on her back. I couldn't shake these thoughts... she was a completely different person. I reached out to touch her hair but she got scared.

"Oh, I'm sorry.." I stepped back. Why was she afraid of my touch?
"I didn't hear you walk in." She smiled.
"Can I?" I asked pointing at her hair.
"Oh, yes." She mumbled.
I touched her damp hair as gently as I could. I couldn't help but smile. She looked so beautiful.
"Where were you, Akari? What happened there?"
"Nothing happened, Naruto." She said quietly. Guess she didn't want to talk.
"I have to take a shower." I said and walked past her.

I should not have let her walk through that rift in the first place! But she's damn stubborn!
If she stays like this I won't ever forgive myself.
I punched the shower wall.

Thin arms wrapped around my body from behind. I looked over my shoulder.
"Akari?"
"I didn't want to be alone."
"But you just showered..."
"Let me just stay here, please."
My heart died seeing her like this. I hugged her tight. We were standing like that until the water got cold, then I carried her to bed.
She woke up several times to check if i was still with her.
I touched her face. Her pink lips were calling me to kiss them, so I did. I recognized a tear running down her cheek. Is she crying in her sleep?
What happened to you, Akari? I wish you'd tell me.

***

The next morning Sakura arrived with Ogen.

"Naruto, I got your message!"
"Thanks for coming, Sakura. I thought the sand village could use your help."
"I know, Katsuyu's already taking care of stuff. I came to check on you personally." She grabbed my face harshly, looked in my eyes, made me stick my tongue out, checked my teeth.
"Aaw Sa-gu-ha! Le-me go-ah" I mumbled trying to push her away.
"Not even a scratch. You're fine."
"If you just asked I'd tell you I was fine." I tried to fix my jaw she almost broke just now. "It's Akari I'm worried about."
"Why, what happened to her?"

***
I took her to see Akari. Sakura did her best not to freak her out.
"Can I see your right arm?" Akari nodded and started to unwrap the bandages. "How did you get this burn?"
"Not sure. Acid or something." She mumbled.
"Did you treat it yourself?"
"I tried."
"It's alright, I can heal it completely." Sakura smiled and started healing her arm. That smile is what made her so special. She gave hope to the wounded. "By the way..." she mentioned. "Your brother is here. Have you seen him yet?"  I noticed Akaris face light up. "He's helping the wounded. Ogens healing powers are amazing!"
And there. Akari smiled.

"I have to meet Gaara. Are you gonna be okay?" I asked and took my jacket. Her eyes were begging me not to leave her.
"I'll be here with Akari! I have to run some more tests to make sure she's okay!"
Sakura saved the moment. Akari nodded so I kissed her and left.

***

Gaara and I were in his office.
I've hardly heard a word he said. My mind was a mess. When I thought I finally got my life together it all came crushing down. The war may be coming and our enemy is out of reach. All we can do is sit around and wait for them to attack again and now.. Akari's all messed up. She's like a walking corpse. She won't eat or speak to anyone.
I tried to pay attention to Gaara.

"I'll send a message to Sasuke. He may be able to help." I said.
"Why won't you ask Akari instead?"
"No!" It came out a little louder than I expected. Gaara looked confused. "She's out of reach for now."
"Right, forgive me."
"I think It's time for me to return to the leaf." I stood up. "Will you inform the other villages?"
"I'll send messengers as soon as possible. Thank you for everything you've done Naruto!"
"Farewell, old friend."