CHP 2 || A Change of Heart

●○●

-Kit-

"Uh..." I blinked a few times, staring right at Mark's unwavering gaze, "Tutor you?"

"Yes, will that be okay?"

"Tutor you with what, exactly?" 

"This..." He began to flick through the notebook which he had passed closer to me earlier, showing me the pages, "See this? I'm currently taking multivariable calculus and initial value problems. You know all this, don't you?"

"Well..." I took the notebook out of his hands, looking at the various scribbled equations and written work, "I won't say lie and say I don't. But..."

Mark gazed at me attentively, not saying anything.

"But what's the catch?" I pushed the notebook back towards him.

"The catch?" He repeated, "There's no catch."

"Right." I spoke, "So, you... one of the most well-known students of the Engineering facility, come to seek help from me, a student from the Medical facility that, mind you, doesn't have any intentions of growing an association to you whatsoever?"

"Ouch." Mark put on a hurt face, furrowing his eyebrows, "No intentions of growing an association with me- ouch, Phi, that hurts."

I'm so tired right now.

"I have a completely valid reason for that." I replied.

"What is it?"

"See those girls?" I lazily gestured to our right with my thumb, raising my brows at Mark.

When we both looked over to them, the group of girls who were not so subtly staring at our table ever since Mark sat down, immediately scurried away with little squeaks. Practically, like mice.

"Uh... yeah?" Mark turned back to me with a confused look, "What about them?"

"This is the only time of my privacy where I get to study as much as I wish. I get to study without interruptions, without any phone calls, and without any girls whispering under their breath expecting that I don't hear them but I do-'Oh, Mark is so handsome!' and 'Oh, Mark is gorgeous!' I'm not going to put up with this. I will not study or tutor anyone under such circumstances."

I've put up with the fangirls ever since the kid sat down at my table, and that experience was already a headache of its own. But to put up with it for who knows how long? No. No way. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything, but I had the right to explain my reasons.

I began to rearrange my papers, shuffling all of them in one neat pile.

"So... I'm sorry to tell you this, Mark, but I will not be tutoring you. You may look for someone else, someone who is more comfortable with this type of exposure. As for me, I value the time I have for myself."

"Phi..." Mark looked startled, as if not expecting my direct answer.

I shook my head, breaking eye contact, "No. I'm sorry."

I began to stand up, tucking my papers under my arm, and quietly arranging my books and pens into my bag.

"Wait, where are you going?" Mark blurted.

"To another table." I responded.

There was a clatter as Mark hurriedly stood up, mirroring my pose, "No... no, it's okay, I'll leave."

I watched warily as he gathered up his books and quickly shoved them into his backpack, his eyes no longer making contact with mine. A hand adjusting at his tie, he pushed his chair back into the table, returning it to its earlier position. 

"But wait, Phi..." He suddenly began to murmur, tilting his head up to look at me, "If the issue is from people, then the library won't do. How about we study in one of the emptier classrooms down by the cafeteria building? There won't be anyone there."

I sighed and crossed my arms, saying nothing.

Mark stared at me for a few pauses, giving me a chance to speak. But I said nothing and his eyes drifted towards the floor. He scratched at his neck, then nodded, looking at me once again.

"I understand. It's okay." He fixed his bag over his shoulders, "But P'Kit! It was really nice to speak to you. I hope to see you again soon."

I watched as he began to walk away.

One second, two seconds, three.

"Wait." I called out.

Mark halted in his steps, turning to me with a questioning look.

I sighed again, "I never said no."

The happiest smile exploded upon his face almost instantaneously. 

"Wait, so does this mean-? Really?"

I gave a firm nod before I could think of it any further.

"Oh! Oh, thank you, Phi!"

Dear Lord, what am I getting myself into?

●○●