Chapter: 48♡

I held onto the box filled with objects and clothes that belonged to Hanuel.

I didn't order a truck since there was literally not much, we just had to pack up 3 boxes and 2 suitcases and we were done.

Hanuel looked around the now clean and empty- well there was furniture, but no signs of human life- apartment.

"This was my first apartment actually"

Averting my gaze from the box, I looked up to see Hanuel with watery eyes as she smiled sadly at the living room.

"Was it?" I asked to carry on the conversation, this was the first time she started it.

"Mmh-" she hummed and looked at me.
"After my third paycheck, I moved here with Jaehyung. He...was 4 months then" she said and walked out of the door with me following close behind.

The landlord was standing outside with a small smile.

He was old and frail, barely had any hair on his head. He wore a cream coloured Jersey with weird patterns over his blue and white checkered shirt, and he wore a pair of cream coloured trousers and brown office boots (?).

"Thank you Ajussi for everything you've done and letting me stay at your flat" Hanuel smiled kindly at the old man.

"No problem darling, remember...my door is always opened if you need a place to stay" the Ajussi smiled and looked at Hanuel behind his glasses and took the keys from her soft milky hands into his old wrinkled ones.

"Thank you" Hanuel said as we both bowed to the older and made our way to my car.

Putting the box in the backseat as both Hanuel and I got in the front and drove off.

"You guys seem close?" I asked.

"Yes, when I couldn't pay rent money Ajussi understood and said whenever I got the money, I should pay him. He was very understanding, not many people are as kind as him. He's a good man" she praised and smiled softly.

"Why couldn't you pay him? I mean you had two paying jobs and couldn't pay rent?" I asked, widening my eyes at how rude that sounded.

In the corner of my eyes I saw Hanuel flinch at the unexpected words but chose not to say anything to cover up my mistake.

I leaned my arm against my car door and brushed my fingers through my hair as my other hand held onto the wheel whilst I drove.

"While I was staying with Chan Oppa, I-I uh...I begged and borrowed money. Chan Oppa also asked for a loan at the bank for me" she looked down at her lap, her cheeks red from embarrassment.

There's nothing to be embarrassed about Hannie, you had to do what you had to do :)

"So I had to pay everyone back and paid the Bank under Chan Oppa's name" she ended.

"Must've been pretty hard back then" I muttered feeling guilty that she went through this.

"No Tae, iT wAs JuSt A wAlK iN  tHe PaRk" she said a looked at me with a sarcastic smile.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that..." I mumbled.

"I-its okay" she sighed and looked out her window.

It was silent for a while as I just entered the familiar city.

Not one of us saying a single word. Until-

"Back there you said Jaehyung was 4 months when you got your third paycheck..." I trailed off, looking at her for a moment before paying attention to the road.

"Mmh..." she hummed.

"But didn't you get paternity leave for a few months?" I asked.

"I wasn't working when I had Jae, only after 1 month of having him and after job hunting. I finally got a job at a bar, Chan Oppa said I could work at the Cafè" she answere like it was nothing. NoThInG!!

"But its said that you have to be with the child for six months after their born, but just after one month...you left and went to work" I said and glanced at her before looking back at the road.

"I had to get work fast, I couldn't feed off of my friends" she answered simply.

"You really had to sacrifice a lot of time, huh?"

"A mother's got to do what a mother's got to do" she shrugged with a tired sigh.