Chapter 38: Practice

"Okay so for the last time jump higher." Oikawa told Jake.

"Bro how many more times are we gonna do this spike?" Jake asked breathing heavy.

"Until we master it." Oikawa said setting the ball up for Jake.

Spiking the ball over the net Jake missed to his the water bottle Oikawa had placed to aim at.

"Bro we've been at this since the last 3 days it's not working out means we should give up on it and move on to another type of attack." Jake told Oikawa as he grabbed and new ball from the ball bag trolley.

"We've got time to nail it down." Oikawa told Jake stretching his arms up.

"We've got less a week until the semi finals!" Jake exclaimed.

"I know I know...but I believe if we can do this spike we can break through the other teams defense." Oikawa explained.

"You're too invested in this one attack." Jake said throwing the ball to Oikawa.

"Just give it one more try." Oikawa told him getting in position to set.

"Bro I feel bad for the wing spiker you played with." Jake said shaking his head and he also go ready to spike.

Within a second the ball was up in the air and Jake hit it over the net directly on to the water bottle Oikawa had placed both went like 'YES!' together.

"See I told you we could do it." Oikawa said smirking to Jake.

"Yeah, yeah, now let's take a break. I'm starving." Jake said holding his stomach.

"Okay, let's go."

• • • • • Lunch time • • • • •

"Sooooo" Jake started. "What's her name?" Jake asked raising a brow at Oikawa.

Oikawa nearly did a spit take drinking his peache ice tea.

"What??" Oikawa asked coughing as he'd gulped a huge sipe of the peach ice tea.

"You know your girl back home.." Jake asked grinning.

"No girl." Oikawa told him. "I went to spend time with my mom." Oikawa told Jake.

"Oh come on, there has to be a girl."

"Why" Oikawa asked.

"Cause you've never actually taken a trip back home. Since the past 2 years I've known you."

Oikawa phone rang suddenly.

"See! I knew it there was someone." Jake exclaimed. "Answer it already!"

It was Iwaizumi.

Oikawa excused himself from the table and went and stood outside the tinny cafe.

"It's working!" Iwaizumi shouted in to the phone. "Thank the Lord it's working!"

"What's working-" Oikawa asked a bit confused but then it hit him.

Isuzu's chemotherapy!

"Her fighting cells are rejuvenating." Iwaizumi said into the phone.

Oikawa could tell this was the happiest Iwaizumi had sounded through the time Oikawa had spend with him and that made Oikawa smile.

"I'm so happy." Oikawa nearly teared up. "Is Isuzu with you right? Can I talk to her?" Oikawa asked.

"Yeah I'll call her."

Oikawa waited a minute before he heard Isuzu's sweet voice.

"Uncle Oikawa! How are you?"