Chapter 43: Cross court

"You look tired." Jake said as he slapped Oikawa on the back. "Not sleeping enough?"

"Nah just had a bit of a head ache." Oikawa lied.

It wasn't exactly a lie it was the truth. The thought of him cheating on Iwaizumi never left his brain. It eating him alive. And what was Oikawa doing it to keep it locked in the back of his head? Practicing like crazy.

"You sure? Cause like I can ask coach-" Jake started but was cut off my Oikawa suddenly looking up at Jake in the eyes.

"No."

Oikawa brown eyes looked so intense that Jake just pulled away.

"Okay. Okay." Jake lifted his arms up in surrender. "But don't over do it." Jake told Oikawa as he jogged towards the water bottles on the bench.

Oikawa was about to go back in position to set the ball when coach signaled him to come to him.

"Oikawa how's the new set coming along?" Coach asked Oikawa.

"Pretty well. Jake has spiked almost all the sets I've done so far-"

"I want you to do the cross court set." Couch cut off Oikawa. "I know it's not your favorite but I feel like it's time to do it."

"But coach we haven't even practiced-"

"I know we haven't but the thing we've never even used it on court." Coach told Oikawa

"Well we've got three days." Coach said calmly. "And I'm sure you can do it with Antonio or Jake whichever you find more comfortable working with. I'm giving you at least that much leverage." Coach smiled.

Yes coach." Oikawa replied before jogging off towards Jake and Antonio.

The next two days were spent trying to get the cross court set. Oikawa and Antonio had been practicing it like all day long and sometimes even stay late as night time would come.

• • • • • A day before the match • • • • •

Tried as hell and drenched in sweat Oikawa slumps on to his couch. Sighing he's about to get up and go for a bath when his phone rings.

It's Iwaizumi.

Oikawa hadn't had much time to talk to Iwaizumi the past two days due to continually practicing over time and draining all of his energy that he'd just come home and fall asleep. They had texted a bit here and there but they hadn't called each other since the incident.

"Iwachan!" Oikawa exclaimed picking up the phone.

"Hey keep it down." Iwaizumi hissed at Oikawa.

"What? Why? Everything okay??" Oikawa asked in a rushed voice without taking a moment to breath.

"Nothing it's just Zuzu is sleeping in my bed tonight." Iwaizumi told Oikawa.

"She had a bad dream?" Oikawa asked.

"Yeah..." Iwaizumi trialed off. "So what's the deal? You mad at me or somethin?" Iwaizumi asked

"Ehh?"

"Well the only thing you've told me is you're working on a new technique. So what's is it?" Iwaizumi asked exiting his room and closing the door softly.

"Uhh...it's not new new..." Oikawa trailed off.

"Okay..." Iwaizumi trailed off waiting for Oikawa to continue.

"Remember that set? The one we did in high school?" Oikawa asked nervously.

"Yeah I do." Iwaizumi said.

"You do?" Oikawa asked surprised.

"Of course not you idiot! We had so many different techniques we'd tried." Iwaizumi said rolling his eyes.

"Yeah lol no I mean ughh....I hate this word Isuzu got me stuck with lol." Oikawa grunted. "Yeah where was I?"

"Telling me about some old sett from high school days."

"Yeah...so remember the match we had against Karasuno?" Oikawa asked keeping himself calm. Or at least trying to the memory was bright as day in his mind. He was to never forget that day.

"The cross court." Iwaizumi said after a pause. "Why're you doing that?" Iwaizumi asked.

"Apparently the coach saw it in our match against Karasuno and has been after me since like a while for me to do it and I keep failing to deliver properly." Oikawa explained.

"Honestly I don't know how you managed to even pull that off." Iwaizumi said.

"Exactly! That's why we can't use it!" Oikawa exclaimed. "But coach doesn't listen he's like-"

"You can do it alright I have faith in you." Iwaizumi said seriously into the phone to Oikawa.

"I can't." Oikawa said twisting a stand of his now fringe.

"You've got a more skilled team and I'm sure-" Iwaizumi started but was cut off my Oikawa.

"Take that back!" Oikawa said in to the phone loudly in anger.

"It's true we were only high schoolers and had barely any-"

"You guys were the best team okay? You guys made me believe that I had people backing me up, supporting me and most of all you guys were like family." Oikawa said in to the phone his voice breaking.

"And it was not your fault." Oikawa said in to the phone in a whisper but low enough for Iwaizumi to hear it.

_________________

Do you guys remember that episode?

Instagram: weebcheck2020