Chapter 26: Good to See You Again

[Selene's perspective] I heard about the arrest of Vince. I was surprised to hear he's even here. I wanna go visit him, but what if he doesn't want to see me. I should do it. There's nothing to be afraid of.

I call into the police station to schedule a day where I could see him. "Everyone please meet in the group room," Ms.Reed announces. I go ahead to the room and sit in the folding chair. "Hi everyone, I know it's rough outside but I wanted to continue speaking to all of you. Ron went last so please pass the magic wand."

A stick we'd use to feel "comfortable" to talk. Ron passes the stick to me. "Do I have to go," I whine.

"This isn't 5th grade my dear. Please go."

"Hi everyone I'm Selene."

"Hi, Selene."

"I'm a drug addict," I sigh. "The reason I came here is to be a better parent. I want to see my sons grow up with a happy family. I've done some things in the past that I'm not proud of. I regret traumatizing my son as I did. I expect now to show my oldest son that I care about him."

"I've put him through so much. I wish I could be enough. Show him that I'm trying, trying to be a mother. Hold him in my arms to show him I'm listening."

"Everyone here has dreams of being something towards the people they love," Ms.Reed commented. "We all need to continue through a path of improvement. We're a family now and we're gonna help each other."

Once the talking session ends, I quickly head out. I take the car over to the prison. "Who are you here to see?"

"Vincent Ales," I reply.

"Alright head in," the guard allows.

I pick up the phone. "Long time no see," Vince picks up the phone.

"Is that what you have to say to me." I look at him and his jumpsuit. He still looks good.

"I'm sorry, this is awkward for me. I don't want you to see me like this. The last time I saw you I was 17."

"I know. You're still looking good. You've got to tell me why you're in here. It's because of Miliano Italiano."

He looks down wistfully. "I'm sorry I put you through this. I just wanted things to end well. I wanted things to go perfectly, I'm not sure what I expected."

"I had a feeling it was him all these years. I knew how much you hated him. It happened on the same day as well. I was just in denial. I always thought it was my fault for you leaving," I whimper.

"It was never you Selene. I loved you. I still do."

"I still love you," I cry.

"I'm gonna get out of here. I'll make it up to you and Chris. I promise. And um...tell me why you named him Chris before I go," Vince requests.

"His full name, Christian Vincent Bryne. I named his middle name after you. I guess Christian because it reminds me of my parents."

"There is something holy about him," Vincent admits.

"He's a special kid," I smile.

[New Reporter perspective] "The arrest has been final of Jimmy Ales. They found him at the Canadian borders. They sending over to Jackson's prison now. We hope by next month the trial date will be set. For now, we'll wait for a response from the police.