Chapter 9: I wish; I'm enough

[Chris's perspective] I played Uno with Jamian and Alejandro. "You guys better not cheat,' Jamian gives us the death stare.

I've been feeling a little conscious of my scar. Wearing long sleeves to cover it up. I put down a 2+. Alejandro draws 2.

"I'm gonna win loser," Jamian stomps his feet. Alejandro throws down a customized 3 skips card. Then a 4+. "I guess I can't go easy on you," Alejandro laughs.

"I quit," Jamian throws all the cards.

"I swear if you have a tantrum," I groan. Jamian cries and runs around. "Alejandro I told you to go easy for a reason. Just put Spider-Man onto the tv he'll stop crying." "Alexia, play Spider-Man animated.

Jamian immediately stops crying and sits on the couch. "You act like you don't have 5 siblings," I lightly push Alejandro. We both laugh and play some GTA. "Fuck you keep running me over," Alejandro yells at the screen.

I couldn't stop thinking about that look The Demon gave me. He looked so hopeless and lonely like he had missed what he had before. It made me feel bad that I don't remember what he wants me to.

I kinda just wanted to hug him. Plus he keeps saving my ass. I owe him. I need to try to remember. "I think I'm gonna go to my house." "That's random."  "I know I just remember I forgot something," I lie.

"Okay, just take my mom's old car." "I'll see you in a few. Watch Jamian, we're going out for ice cream later." I go to the garage in flick the light on. Ms.Perez old car had to be from 2015. I drove smoothly and played some chill music.

Sometimes when I drive I feel anxious. Even before the demon fucked up Mom's car. Somehow it reminded me of what it looked like when my Dad left. Mom never told me anything about him.

When I was six, I watched a movie about a young boy and his father had left his family. Drove off in his car. Ever since then that's how imagined my Dad left. I stop in front of the house. I unlock the door. "What took you so long," The Demon leans over the kitchen counter with blood oozing out his waist.

I run to him. "I'll go get the first aid kit." I run into the bathroom cabinet and take the box. I steal some of mom's alcohol. I pour it onto his waist and The Demon squeezes the counter. "You know you don't have to do this. I can heal."

"I know, but save that magic till later. I'll help the wound." He looks down at me. "You've always been a little helper." I confusingly look at him. "Nevermind. Must have a serious case of memory loss. "So you going to tell me what happened?"

"Got jumped by some gang. They sliced me, but I still kicked their asses. He says something in Korean. "I still got the book." I finish wrapping it with bandages. "Thanks, kid." "How old are you?"

"24," He blinks at me. I thought he was 19, he looks so young. "You're probably wondering how aging works for demons." Demons can be born or created. I'll be talking about birth." He speaks like a teacher.

"When is a demon is born we start off as humans do. Infancy, toddler years, childhood, then teenage years. After our childhood years, we age faster to find our powers or fit into our powers.

We stop aging around 20-32. Last, our are generation years meaning if you lived for 100 years, you'd say I'm 124. Or 224."

"We don't count single years. We count by hundreds." "So your just 24 right, " I question. "Yes, I am. I think this might be my last year aging. Eventually, we get old just don't die. We truly start aging around our five-hundreds."

I'm fascinated by all of this. "The book," The Demon passes me it. "Read the story it will connect to your vision of the cabin." I open the book.

The Book(Father's Spear): Once there was a man living in the woods, who carried and loved his family. Well he does, but his wife does not show him the same love. The wife very much wanted to leave him. One day she gave him papers, papers that would change his life. "I'll take the kids, I'll take the money, so you'll be all alone my honey."