Chapter 22: You Can Tell Me Now

[Chris's perspective] I wake up with the sun beaming in my eyes. I have a mild headache from staying up playing games with Alejandro. Or from Jamian bothering me 24/7. At least I slept well. "Wake up we got to go," TD throws some clothes at me.

"Where are we going?"

"Eastwood. I felt something while lying down. Someone must have opened a gate."

"As in gate a portal from hell," I assume.

"Yes, now let's go before more demons get through. I quickly change and get the sword. "Come on," TD grabs me.

We teleport there. A rusty old warehouse building with chains on the gate. TD cuts the chains in half with his sharp claws. He kicks the gate open. "Fuck, the energy is strong here. We need to be careful Chris."

"Alright let's kick some ass," I set my sword in place.

We open the warehouse doors, where a large black hole sat front in the middle. One larger size demon and two other ones that look like goblins.

The demon flips one over and slices off his head. More appear out of the portal. I use my sword and swing it around killing 3 smaller ones. The bigger one with the body almost built like Kingpin. I immediately pull the sword out of the demon. I run straight into KingPin, but it dodges me by an inch.

It grabs me by the waist and squeezes me aggressively. The Demon scratches it with his claws. Kingpin let's go of me and kicks The Demon. We both fall on each other, with him landing on top of me. "This is comfortable," he smiles. Kingpin starts running towards us.

"Move your head asshole," I tell The Demon. The Demon moves his head and I stab Kingpin right in the eye. I push The Demon off me and jump onto Kingpin. Slicing his massive head off. "There are more of us. You'll never win," the severed head premises. The head dies.

"Is that your signature kill," The Demon laughs. "We should make him into a trophy."

"Like I have space to put it somewhere," I shake my head no in disagreement. TD closes the portal with whatever demonic language he uses.

"Let's go," I push the door open.

"So, we're not gonna talk about how we fell on each other." TD appeared like he was going to laugh but realized how serious that question was.

"What, you like how I feel?" We both walk away in awkward silence.

As soon as we got home TD washes his hands. "Alright sorry about earlier. I should tell you that I'm thinking about joining nursing school."

"Wait, what?"

"I mean I spent my whole life learning how to protect humans. Why not do it in a more conventional way," TD explains.

"That's a plot twist," I softly chuckle.

Honestly, I'm shocked but not even surprised. "I'm happy for you but the whole bad boy look might throw off the storyline."

"Of course, but I have that covered. I'll try to cover my tattoos and my piercings. Plus I don't think it matters."

"Hold on your telling me you had tattoos. Yes, I did notice his piercings but tattoos. I swear I learn something interesting everyday. You just keep getting interesting. Let me see," I try to lift his shirt. TD immediately pulls it back down covering his own torso.

"You should go out more since school's canceled," he quickly changes the subject.

"I guess I could. Maybe you can take me out for dinner." I ensure him.

"I might take you up on that offer. I hate goblins, they stink. I'm taking a shower."

"Alright."

"You should clean off the sword. It's gonna start stinking too," TD advises. I bend over and get a rag from under the sink. I hear TD start the shower water.

"I'm gonna stop by my mom's house," I yell.

"Um...okay. Bye."

I bring my bag and board with me. I not sure why I feel the need to go there. Is it to see Mom? In a way, I feel bad for yelling at her.

We both can be so selfish at times. She just doesn't understand what she has been putting me through. Once I get to the house, I unlock the door. No one's home? Lucky me. I go to the kitchen counters. A small half-open note sits on the counter.

The note: "I knew eventually you'd come home. If this is Chris reading this then keep reading. I'm out for a while, I'm going to a rehab center. I'll be back on 10/13 to take Jamian for ice cream. I know what your thinking, is she really gonna get help?"

"Yes I am and I'm slightly proud of it. It's an improvement. Im paying attention and actually give a fuck. I'm doing this for you, Christian. My first son. You were right about everything. How you always told me the right things, but I never listened."

I'm sorry about that. I'll take your kind advice. Be a better mom for my children. You may be getting old, but a mother's healthy presence is important. I'll do better Chris, I swear."

My tears fall on the paper, making it soggy and wet. A knock on the door frightens me. "Who is it," I huff.

"Vince," he responds. Vince? I open the door. "Hey, kid."

"What the hell are you doing here," I yell at him.

"I wanted to apologize for everything."

"How do you know where I live?"

"I've...well been keeping my eyes on your mom every now and then."

"Wow. Way to make a presence."

"I'm sorry about that. I feel terrible for not being there. I had my reasons," Vince sighs. Two parents apologizing on the same day. "When I saw you I just realized that what happened was so long ago that I'm safe."

"Safe from what?"

"I shouldn't really say. I just wanna be here for my son."

"Do you expect me to say this is enough. I'd feel stupid if I accepted you in my life."

"Then I'll tell you everything. Right now, if you'll hear me out."

"Then explain," I let him in.