Chapter 7: Closer Than You Think

[Gael's perspective] "Good morning Officer Calles."

"Good morning to you too," I greet the young man.

"You look upset, Sir."

"Really, my wife said I'm fine. Just my baby growing up, that's all." I thought about Loyalty as a child, just learning how t properly stack blocks.

"I just saw my little sister say her first words," he beamed.

"My daughter thought it was a good idea to bring her "boyfriend" over. My wife said they're not even dating. If you going to bring him over, do it right." The young man shakes his head and nothing more was said or done.

I go into my office. I've been working on the Miliano Italiano case for years. Everyone at some point worked on it all confused. One day we're gonna bust them. All the kids in high school fell for his shit back in 2000. Still to this day he has a presence in the gangs. He's dead now, but nothing about it makes sense.

Selene Bryne fell for that shit too. Now she's addicted to drugs, the main reason I can't trust her son Chris. If he touches my daughter he's gonna end up in a dump.

So far on the case, I know Vince or Vincent Ales worked for Miliano. Jimmy Berk too. They both were friends so I'm guessing they tag-teamed when it came to helping Miliano. Milliano died in 2003 the same year both Vince and Jimmy disappeared.

Then, there's the ring. The ring was built with diamonds and gold. Miliano Italiano's ring is stamped with the code to his whole kingdom. I need to find the ring first before I can do anything. It's the closest thing I have to any evidence.

Rumor says it possibly that it's been pawned by one of his unloyal gang members. There are three pawn shops in the town. I've been to the first 2 and had no luck. Empire Loan is where I'm going next.

I hop into the car and drive off. Playing some classic 90's music. I've been thinking lately about my baby going off the college soon. I know she's gonna get a full scholarship. My baby smart smart.

Hopefully, Chris doesn't hold her back. Not sure what she see's in the scrawny kid. To me, it doesn't seem like he does much. The police radio turns on. "We got a 10-65 at Classic Brew."

"Alright, I'm en-route."

I circle around Alvin St. and turn on the sirens. Once I see the crime scene I noticed the kitchen freezer was ripped apart. Like Hulk smashed. "You sure this is a robbery," I ask another police officer there.

"Either someone got into a fightback here, I'm not sure." 

"No human can do this," I shake my head in disbelief. I noticed spilled milk pouring onto the floor. "I'll look around," I go over to the barista. "Tell me what happened?"

"Some boy came into here asking for some coffee, like...uh...regular customer. That's all I remember."

"Were you knocked out," I ask?

"No, it's weird it felt like time stopped. Same for everyone else in here," the poor girl voices shakes.

Time stopped? How is that possible? "Do you remember the boy's name?"

"Um...I think I wrote Chris on the cup." I look around before she hands me the cup. I hope she's got Chris's DNA on it.

Chris. Is that right? Should have known that boy is suspicious. "Alright thank you," I walk away. I pick up a black liquid as well.

"Check this out," I say to the forensic.

"Thanks," she replies putting it in a jar. "I'll let you know the results."

I head back to the car throwing away my gloves. Once I reach Empire Loan I observe my surroundings, with litter everywhere. I walk in wiping my shoes on the rug. The first thing I see is a 6'2 ft tall Asian. He has some red highlights on the back of his hair.

You could tell he's out of place. From the looks of it, he keeps fumbling over the antique book section. I go to the ring section, looking for the bold gold and green marble. I didn't see anything.

I ask one of the workers to go to the back. She pulls out a case and opens it. "This what you looking for?" There it is, more beautiful than anything.

The tall Asian man throws his book on the counter. "I need to buy this now," he demands.

"Let me help him out real quick," the worker tells me.

"You like old classic horror," she conversates with the man.

"I do," he simply interactions with her.

I look angrily at him cause he interrupted the most important thing in my life.

"Sorry. It's important," he rushes out.

"If you want to buy the ring it's quite expensive." I show her my badge and explain why I need it. She talks to her boss and they happily give it to me. I know I'm getting close. I feel it in my bones.