Chapter 11: DownTown People

[The Demon's perspective] He's no monster he knows that. Chris is a much better person than me. I should just stay out of his thoughts.

At least to be more respectful. How could I lie to him? He's right, I'm not telling him the truth about who I am. I don't even know myself.

The Past: I tuck him into the bed. "Goodnight Chris," I kiss him on the cheek.

"Goodnight Kyle." He shuts his eyes. I go back home and hide in my father's old room. I wish a had someone to talk to. This house is so big, but lonely as ever.

I don't even have anyone in this house to talk to. With Father always having "special meetings" I can't spend time with him. Not like he's that great of a Father. I ride my bike back to the library. The only place I could live without Chris. Luna is here too.

"Hello again," she waves.

"Hi," I go up to her.

"You look cute."

"I'm not interested in having a girlfriend," I reject her in a heartbeat.

"Of course not, that would be stupid."

"You're not a good liar," I joke with her.

"Haha," she awkwardly laughs. "So do have someone you like."

Someone, you like? Do I like anyone?

I felt like throwing up. I don't like remembering the stupid shit I'd used to say. That was so long ago. Yet, somehow Father finds a way to linger in my life. Even taking measures to possess Chris. I should try finding a medium.

Someone who can also analyze the book. 2 for 1 type deal. Luna's old assistant. Kory I think. He's book smart knows how to read cards. Talk to the dead or reach out to someone in the underworld. It won't be easy getting Father.

"Could you take me back to my house," Chris sounded miserable.

"I know your upset."

"Could you shut up," Chris bursts out. We sit in silence.

"I wanna go to the city. It will help us figure out the metaphor of the book."

"I'll go. I'm only going because it's gonna benefit me and not you." Chris seemed even more pissed off. He turns on the radio, to avoid the awkward silence. Chris hums all the songs that play.

When we get to his Mom's house Chris stomps out the car. He goes to the bathroom and takes a 45-minute shower. "Hey, TD could you get a towel? I forgot about it."

I go into the closet and throw him a Spider-Man towel. "Thanks, I guess." He gets out of the shower and dries his hair with a hand towel.

"I will be ready soon. I'm gotta call my brother to let him know I'll be busy," Chris gives me a heads up.

"Of course." He calls Alejandro and tells him to put Jamian on the phone. I could hear Jamian screaming on the phone.

"I'll make it up I promise," Chris calms down Jamian. "I feel bad now. I told him I'd take him to the park."

"We can bring him something back," I propose.

"That actually is smart. Jamian likes being bribed." Chris gets in the car. "I'm still mad at you," he reminds me.

It's a least a 2-hour drive. I guess it be our second time going on a road trip. Maybe third. About 30 minutes later I try sparking a conversation. "Have you ever been to the city before?"

"No, It's my first time. My mom could never afford to go there." Chris looks down at his Converse. "I never really got to do anything fun. I'm lucky I'm old enough to do shit for my brother."